Old 06-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Weston , Ohio
Lots of Questions.....

Hello, we have a 1972 overlander that helped us with quite a bit already. I just have a few more questions.

1. The hubby really wants to polish this, the thing is the front looks like it was in a hail storm. Will this look better or awful polished?? This picture wont post for some reason its in my photo album.

2. What was where that little square is to the right of the door holder?

3. I haven't seen these on the site yet. Its a little thing so you can see if your turn signals are working from the truck. Anyone know where to get a replacement cover for

4. What type of awning was here and where to get a replacement?

Thanks you very much for all your help. This would have been hauled to the junk yard a long time ago without you. Melanie

dragonnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Addicted to Aluminum
1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
polish away. i'm not planning on polising mine to a mirror luster, just a good looking shine from 5 feet away is enough. they look SO much better. in our little group of 4, i'm the only idiot to attempt polishing, and it's worth it, i think... plus, it gives me something to do nearly every day, as i continually touch up panels. as for the hail damage, my trailer had a few pimples, too. they do show probaly more readily, but i still don't think it's too objectionable.

that little square thing next to your door latch may have been a door bumper to keep the door from slamming into the skin. for the lights. awnings from zip dee. they can get pricey, though... prepare yourself!

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
We to are about ready to start polishing this fall (cooler weather) We don't have hail damage but we do have some scratches that I worry about. The little square thing was a door bumper thingy we have one with a little rubber left on it I think it may have been a later add on from one of the po. Love the signal thing wish we had one but we don't so I cant help you on that.
Zip Dee awnings are the best, our trailer has a care free on it I would love to be able to put a zip dee back on it but that will have to be in the future our beer budget is only allowing the necessities at the moment
75 Sovereign (Peppy)
03 Chevy HD (lil Peppy)
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #4

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
First of all, it might be best if your husband were to practice and learn how to polish an airstream on a different rig. Since I am always willing to take a hit for the team he may use mine .

There are several good threads on awnings that you can seach for. There seem to be two schools of thought. 1) spend something like $1500 on a zip dee the hands down quality winner in the contempory, easy to use catagory, or 2) have a vintage sit up made that uses poles and quide wires. The zip dees are easiest to use, the vintage are cooler looking (to me anyway) and cost about half as much. It just depends on your own inclinations. I also gather from my research that the one thing you REALLY want to avoid is any solution that is somewhere in the middle of those two options for reasons of quality.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your newly polished and re-canvased coach, good luck!

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Love the signal thing wish we had one but we don't so I cant help you on that.
My 75 has that signal thing. I thought all the 70's trailers did. Was it optional?
I thought it was a great idea.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 TW does not have the signal thing, must have been an option.

The picture of the awning (#4) is the front window of the trailer. I am not sure I would put an awning on the front. I would think that it would catch a bunch of air going down the road. Another option would be to put a rock guard over the windows. This would protect the glass from damage and can also be pivoted up to act as a shade when parked. I also think they look great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newtanks.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	22371  

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Weston , Ohio
Question Thank you......

Our awning on the side is OK. Its not beautiful but usable, and thats the goal for a few years. We are planning on a complete restore in about 3-5 years when the kids are older and wont go with us. They are currently 16,14 and 11. If we started the tear down now they would never get to go camping with it. Tent camping is so hard with kids. Anyways....

No answers for sure on the little black square?

With my side awning ok I wouldn't put a awning on the front that wouldn't match the side. I really do like the rock guard but right now I need 4 tires, battery, lots of seals and on and on. The service manual says that front window twice as strong as a car winshield??? So im hoping we are fine with nothing there.

What about polishing when you dont have access to a cyclo?? Can you use a buffer? Thank you Melanie
Old 06-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington

Hi Melanie, Here is a site or two to look at for parts and I had good service with Vintagetrailersupply. Inlandrv may have more parts for your trailer. Search the forums on polishing and get a feel for what members have done. The polishing question seems to bring out allot of passion. Good luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
That square had a small rubber pad on it so that the opened door did not hit the side sheet. Also, you need a new door holdback latch. The spring in yours is broken.

That whit cover is for your tail light monitor. It's part # 56808

Hard to tell about the awning, but is was not a Zip Dee.

What brand is your other awnings if you have any?

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The awning could have been anything. Most of us with the 70's vintage trailers use the dark lexan/plastic (not sure what they are made out of) rock guards. Given that a replacement wing window is $$$ and the current one available are tinted and single pane... the rock guards are in the $350-$450 range and are available from any well stocked Airstream Dealer. The installation is fairly straight forward.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Weston , Ohio
Can you tell me how much part # 56808 is? Do you have the little square rubber band thing?

How do I tell what kind of awning the big one over the door is? Its self supporting and curved with the airstream. No stakes that go in the ground. I need some parts for it too. The little knobs you turn are seized in the aluminum with rust.

Andy - you should know the answer to this... the seals for the doors and windows, they look different but on inlandrv they are listed as the same item. Is that right? And is the adhesive on there or you have to use the tube?

azfkycaster - man your propane tanks are shiney!!!! The whole thing looks real nice.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Thanks for the tank complement! I just got them a short time ago and spent several hours getting them to shine.

Several different companies made awnings for Airstreams over the years. The easiest to identify would be Zip Dee. They have their name on the heads (where the roller connects to the arms). I am not as familiar with the others, but they include A & E, Carefree of Colorado and a few others. Post a picture of the awning, that will make it easy to identify.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio

Hope the picture attaches - first time doing this. The black thing is a door catch - a black latch was on the side of the trailer. You slid it back and it snapped over your part. Went looking for a "just in case" one of these just this week and the A/S factory advised they are no longer available. Part of their email:

The black square in the photo is a later version of your part. If you decide to remove yours - you can sell it to me if your willing. I have 6 of the black ones on our 71 so not willing to change to brown - might work for you however. Hope this helps - enjoy your A/S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201148-01.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	24201  

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote