Chris,

Great idea. Thanks for the photos.

Mark

Old 07-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Portland , Oregon
Screen Door - 1965 Caravel

A great solution to doorway insect repelling! It would work on our 1965 Caravel with door louvers only. I have also seen a velcroed screen with a center velcroed slit for a different way of entry and egress. Speaking of doors and door locks, anyone know of a resource for our door handle and mechanism (locks with separate deadlock). It was made by Weiser.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Panama City Beach , Florida
Screen Door for 1965 Caravel

Looking for a complete screen door assembly. Hahahaha Yeah I know...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK FAMILY View Post
Looking for a complete screen door assembly. Hahahaha Yeah I know...
Screen doors were not installed in your model.

However, finding a screen door will be much easier than finding the hinge that you will need, for that screen door.

Andy
Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Sequatchie , Tennessee
I have what I believe is a 1966 Tradewind, I also am looking for a screen door frame, The hinge is still there, any help?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
65 caravel screen door

I have a 65 with the louvred window in the door. I obtained a screen door 5 or so yrs ago w/no HINGE!! I could make it work if some kind soul would send me some close-up pictures of a HINGE!! is it cast or is it just bent metal? I have access to a metal shop, but I need pictures! lots of pictures! the door fits the opening! the holes match the area where it should be mounted!!! I would like to do this before I DIE, so I need photos of the actual hinge............thanks,,,,,joe q in minnesnowda
Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqin View Post
I have a 65 with the louvred window in the door. I obtained a screen door 5 or so yrs ago w/no HINGE!! I could make it work if some kind soul would send me some close-up pictures of a HINGE!! is it cast or is it just bent metal? I have access to a metal shop, but I need pictures! lots of pictures! the door fits the opening! the holes match the area where it should be mounted!!! I would like to do this before I DIE, so I need photos of the actual hinge............thanks,,,,,joe q in minnesnowda

I have a 66 Caravel that has a screen door. I do not know if it is the same opening or mechnism or ever make believe I am an expert in model year compatable parts. I can take some tonight and send them to you if you think they would be useful to you. It is a bent aluminum piece (2) of flat stock that is shaped to the inside door frame. The bends may be critical but it is not that much to make if you have the tools and some skill level in metal shaping and forming. Really not enough to die for.......
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Screen Door for 1965 Caravel

Hey Yall.. I am the original poster for the 1965 Screen Door quest. I have been unsuccessful in finding one so far so you are way ahead of the game finding one. I too have the Jalousie windows which I think were standard on the 1965. They did not offer the screen door option on the 65's I do not think. You should be able to fashion a hinge for the door if you have or know someone. OR you could sell it to me and I can get it done. HAHAHA
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
FYI, I am in full restoration mode on my 65 Caravel. I found this baby at a deer camp in the woods of GA. Hey Andy based upon the pictures I think I may need an axle. The tires on this camper are too big (7.00 x 15) so it;s a little deceiving.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Don't know what year model or trailer this is from, but this guy has had a picture of a screen door in his Craigslist ad for quite a while now. If the link doesn't work, it's under "Airstream" in the Dallas/Ft.Worth Craigslist.

Airstream original parts
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK FAMILY View Post
FYI, I am in full restoration mode on my 65 Caravel. I found this baby at a deer camp in the woods of GA. Hey Andy based upon the pictures I think I may need an axle. The tires on this camper are too big (7.00 x 15) so it;s a little deceiving.
Your photo does show that the axle rubber rods have failed.

However, to make super sure, read the following which will better help you to check it out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Please post pics

Clancy Boy,

Please post pics with a ruler in the shot. I found a screen door with no hinge as well and made one last year. It's OK, but I should probably give it another shot. The bends are definitely critical and I made a couple of hinge cuts too short.

You know the old saying -- you can't cut it longer!

Thanks in advance,

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
I have a 66 Caravel that has a screen door. I do not know if it is the same opening or mechnism or ever make believe I am an expert in model year compatable parts. I can take some tonight and send them to you if you think they would be useful to you. It is a bent aluminum piece (2) of flat stock that is shaped to the inside door frame. The bends may be critical but it is not that much to make if you have the tools and some skill level in metal shaping and forming. Really not enough to die for.......
Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
65 screen door

thanks for all the quick repiies. BTW, 7.00x15 was the original tire on my 65 and it was very hard to change the tire cuz the axle was toast!! I'm hoping that one of you can post those close-ups of the hinge! the door fits the opening really well. there will be some rubbing of the crank window parts, but I think I can take care of that with some heavy stretch "dog screen" . If I get frustrated , I know one of you will grab up the door immed., we all seem to want more air thru our small "stream" ............joe q in mosquitosoda
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
65 Caravel screen vs 66 Sovereign screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your photo does show that the axle rubber rods have failed.

However, to make super sure, read the following which will better help you to check it out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
I will be ordering my new axle (just want to be sure given all the work I have done) and based upon previous threads I am going to go 3000 versus the heavier weights..

My real question is: Will the screen from a 66 Sovereign fit on my 1965 Caravel? I haved Joulisie windows but want the best of both worlds. There is not a hinge on the screen door I have found but can have this fabricated. Thanks

Tags
1965, 1965 caravel, caravel