Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
Lock tumbler replacement

The tumbler on the main door latch for my 1986 Sovereign broke off at the end of the tumber and came right off on the key. Is this a replaceable item? I've read several horror stories of members trying to replace the locks and modifying new latches to fit. The tumbler itself seems to be only pot metal. Is there a tumbler replacement kit avail. anywhere?
thanks lufletch
'86 Sovereign

Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Lufletch
Does your lock look like the one at this link?
Keeler Lock Page 1978-90

Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Most licensed locksmiths can replace cylinders (tumblers) even on old locks. Some locksmiths even specialize in "antique" locks. Check local locksmiths in the "yellow pages".
Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Blairstown , New Jersey
Thanks to all!

Dan straightened me out with who made the lock - Keeler Brass Co. "KBC" I was then able to find a dropin tumbler and key set. He rocks! Phoenix, I called two locksmiths who took one look at this lock, scratched their heads, and told me they could "maybe modify it" with a regular latch set by drilling it out and doing about $100 worth of mods. I was lucky enough, thanks to Dan, to find the replacement drop in tumbler for $16. Now who's got vintage Dometic refridgerator plastic parts?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufletch
Dan straightened me out with who made the lock - Keeler Brass Co. "KBC" I was then able to find a dropin tumbler and key set. He rocks! Phoenix, I called two locksmiths who took one look at this lock, scratched their heads, and told me they could "maybe modify it" with a regular latch set by drilling it out and doing about $100 worth of mods. I was lucky enough, thanks to Dan, to find the replacement drop in tumbler for $16. Now who's got vintage Dometic refridgerator plastic parts?
I've got a 76 Dometic that I just took out
Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
lock handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufletch View Post
Dan straightened me out with who made the lock - Keeler Brass Co. "KBC" I was then able to find a dropin tumbler ...................
Lufletch

I would try my best to take care of that lock handle. Like in the pictues at the link above those do break. How that break is, people think they are un-locked when they are not. Once that happens your going to have to get a kit to replace the whole lock.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Just went through the ordeal of lock style replacement. We are on the road for a few weeks and really didnt need to go through this so bear with me on the saga:

Going across northern Alabama on a major US highway, came across a railroad crossing at the posted speed limit of 65. Was going 55. HIT IT HARD and perhaps even the trailer went airborne?..........
At the next rest stop, Susan, my wife, went back to get a Coke and could not get in..........OHHHH SH>>T.....The trailer has been converted from a twin to queen bed with only one hatch to crawl through and the mattress is ONE heavy mother. In addition the PO had put in shelving in the storage area and I had no way to cut it up or out................

Made it to Memphis where a really fantastic tech cut out the shelving with a saws all and heroically crawled in and got the mattess up enough to make it into the trailer.............Guess who is installing something to hold that mother up in the future......

The DOOR BOLT had sheared...........NO REPAIR parts available...........The hero tech made a carpeted wedge to slide under the grab handle to hold the door shut in our travels. Looked weird but worked...............

The next day's travel found us calling every dealer in the southwest to find one that would help us or had the part.............ONE HAD US WAITING AROUND 2 weeks while on the road instead of helping us out............

Anyway, went out of our way for 100 miles or so and ended up showing up on a Monday morning for the "patch kit, factory repair"...........Am used to it now but at first looked kinda Rube Goldberg....UGLY not elegant at all.....Back on the road in 2 hours into the Texas 112 degree Lubbock heat.............

Later at a general store up in South Fork, Colorado came across the lock kit that we had paid $136 for parts at the dealer...........lololol..........$75 at the general store. Of course, I did not KNOW how to do the repair which is actually for me kinda complicated.

Anyway..........am on the road; but I did save the old parts..........let me know if you think you can use them for salvage.........

God bless............Dennis

DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote