Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
1968 24' Tradewind
ozone , Arkansas
lock tumbler

I have a 1968 tradewind with the Bargman L200 longbolt on the entry. The lockset is in good condition except the tumbler is about worn out. Does anybody know if the tumbler is rebuildable or parts available? Have taken it to a locksmith before and they couldn't get the tumbler out, possibly too apprehensious. Could a good locksmith help me?

Markansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Everything you find on the web says the cylinder cannot be replaced. Here's a site that still lists the L100 and 200 for under a $100.
Miller's Service Center Inc Catalogs of Common Parts
Search Bargman L200.

You'd have to replace the latchbolt with the one from your current lock if it's still in good shape or - get a new one from here:
Extra Long Lachbolt

A new lockset is $230
Custom Bargman Lock
If Millers actually has the l200 in stock you could be back in business with a totally new lock for under $150.

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1969 25' Tradewind
1983 34' Limited
fairview , New Mexico
Check with out of door mart. get the lock with the short latchbolt and use the old latchbolt on the new one. I did this on my 69. Cost me under 50.00.

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Airstream now has a machined extended striker bolt for the old Bargman L-100 and L-200 entrance door locks.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
1968 24' Tradewind
ozone , Arkansas
Thanks averybody for your input! Unfortunately I checked with Millers and Out of Doors Mart and they are both sold out of the Bargman lock. Acutally Out of Doors still lists the L100 for sale at $199 and I could still use it I suppose to mix parts and make it work. If anybody has anymore suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Markansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
My husband says to find a more experienced locksmith!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
A 7th year newby
1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
I have a cylinder that might work

Hi, I PMed you to send links to my Flickr pages with photos of the lock I have. I received two cylinders from another member, and they both work perfectly. One is from a Chesler lock set, one is from a Bargman. Chesler went out of business a long time ago, so I feel fortunate to have 2 cylinders all of a sudden. I think because of the shapes of the face plates and handles, Chesler and Bargman lock sets look identical. Only when I removed the lock set from the door did I see the Chesler brand stamped into the non-visible side of the interior face plate and the back of the interior handle.

VTS does not have the cylinder I need, and you said they do not have what you need, either. Here are links to my photos, to see if they match what you need. I would be pleased to pass the Bargman cylinder on to you, more about that in a PM.

Unless the lock uses the identical cylinder type, with the blade that fits into the slot on the locking mechanism, I would not count on being able to interchange parts. I suppose if that one part could be swapped out with one from another lock set, a cylinder with the right shape might be easier to replace from VTS or other parts dealer.

Links to my photos:

Entry Door Lock Set - a set on Flickr

Chesler Lock - a set on Flickr

Indianapolis, IN
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote