Old 06-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Lock Operating Problem

Why am I always crushed by the most idiotic problems? Argh!

I just bought a replacement Bargeman L-200 doorlock to replace our old one, which seems to have a broken cylinder. We've been fiddling with this thing and we cannot seem to figure out how to operate it with the keys. I have figured out how to lock/unlock it from the inside with the lever handle. That part is clear.

But I really don't want to spend my life only inside the trailer...

We really want to be able to lock it from the outside with a key! And when we get back to the trailer, we'd really like to be able to unlock it (teeny weeny problem).

Is there anyone with a L-200 lockset (knob one side, lever on the other) that figured this out?

Mary

Old 06-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Mary, I can't recall which replacement lock we have, and it's 4000 miles away, but I'll assume yours is the same as ours. You will see that there are two keyholes on the outside of the lock. The upper left keyhole is for the deadbolt, and this locks by turning ANTICLOCKWISE. The lower right keyhole is for the basic lock, and this locks by turning the key CLOCKWISE. This is weird, but true. I hope this is of some help. Nick.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Why am I always crushed by the most idiotic problems? Argh!

I just bought a replacement Bargeman L-200 doorlock to replace our old one, which seems to have a broken cylinder. We've been fiddling with this thing and we cannot seem to figure out how to operate it with the keys. I have figured out how to lock/unlock it from the inside with the lever handle. That part is clear.

But I really don't want to spend my life only inside the trailer...

We really want to be able to lock it from the outside with a key! And when we get back to the trailer, we'd really like to be able to unlock it (teeny weeny problem).

Is there anyone with a L-200 lockset (knob one side, lever on the other) that figured this out?

Mary
Mary, try removing the outside knob assembly, and turning it upside down, reassembling, and try again. I don't know why this sometimes happens, but it does. It happened to an SOB camper we had, it would only operate properly in the "upside down" position.
A really dumb question: Are you sure you have the right keys?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Nick, I think you may have a different lock, since mine only has one keyhole. 63--I don't know, I haven't installed it yet, so I may play around with installing in different directions. I just figured out how to unlock it with the key--first twist it all the way away from the edge of the door, then all the way in the other direction. The unlocking is a rather stiff motion, but it occurs if enough effort is made to twist the key towards the opening. The door must be then twisted to open.

I still can't figure out how to lock this with a key, but maybe it isn't intended to do that. I can lock it with the inside lever handle, so I suppose that will have to do.

Looks like I'll have to drill out a couple of rivets to get the old lock out. Made a mistake and pulled out one of the bumpers. Drat! I think I can reinstall it with anchor bolts. Phooey.

Thanks to all--

Mary
Old 06-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
I still can't figure out how to lock this with a key, but maybe it isn't intended to do that. I can lock it with the inside lever handle, so I suppose that will have to do.
Mary
Mary, if the lock knob is not in the doorknob, I don't think it is intended to be locked from the outside. If the lock is inside the knob, you should be able to lock from outside by twisting the key in the opposite direction of unlocking. But I am sure you knew that.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Thank you! I think I have enough confidence to install it now...