Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2005, 04:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Latches Keep Falling Apart

The latches that secure the outside storage compartments on my 2004 Classic keep falling apart for no apparent reason, and then I'm not able to get them back together without bending one of the metal pieces. Once bent, I can't seem to get them back in the same shape as they were originally, and they don't fit quite the same.

I've probably had 4 or 5 of these simply fall apart in the past year since we bought our trailer.

Does anyone else have this problem. Is there a trick to getting them back together without bending them?

John
Old 06-03-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though I haven't had this problem, I woud think that some loctitie on the threads once fully assembled, would hold the latch in place.

Not to be a wise guy, but have you considered trading this unit John?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Though I haven't had this problem, I woud think that some loctitie on the threads once fully assembled, would hold the latch in place.

Not to be a wise guy, but have you considered trading this unit John?
These latches don't have threads; they are the clip down type, that you could put a small lock on if you'd want.

I did put Loctite on my main Zip Dee awning J-Hook a couple days ago because the screw that holds it seems to get quite loose regularly, and I was concerned that it would fall off entirely. That's on my list of things to have Airstream look at when we're in Jackson Center at the end of this month.

Yes, I have thought of trading this unit, many times in fact, and will probably do so in the not-too-far-distant future. My dilemna is that I still love the Airstream style, and like many of it's features. However, I'm hesitant to plunk down a few more thousand dollars for another new one when it's a crap shoot whether you'd end up with a decent quality unit or a bucket of crap like the one I bought last year. And besides that, this trailer has been like raising a child -- I've got sooooo many days invested now in this one, that I'd kinda like to see if it can still turn out decently in the end. I don't want to give it up for adoption.

John
Old 06-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
The latches that secure the outside storage compartments on my 2004 Classic keep falling apart for no apparent reason, and then I'm not able to get them back together without bending one of the metal pieces. Once bent, I can't seem to get them back in the same shape as they were originally, and they don't fit quite the same.

I've probably had 4 or 5 of these simply fall apart in the past year since we bought our trailer.

Does anyone else have this problem. Is there a trick to getting them back together without bending them?

John
John I have two which tend to fall off when attempting to open the compartments. Part of the problem is the lower section of the latch does not exactly line up with the upper half that the clip fits over. This puts you at an angle which allows that movable clip to slip out of place. It always happens to me when I'm in a hurry.

I really think the only fix is to try to squeeze that movable lower clip so that it holds on to the attached lower section more tightly. I also know that if I'm careful I can prevent it from falling off by not getting it too much at an angle if I'm opening or fastening the latch.

For those of you reading this, it probably doesn't make much sense. I need to probably post a picture when I get the trailer home.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:13 AM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I did put Loctite on my main Zip Dee awning J-Hook a couple days ago because the screw that holds it seems to get quite loose regularly, and I was concerned that it would fall off entirely.
John
Mine was quite loose too. You have to open the awning to get to the screw and then use an angled driver or stub handled screw driver to secure it. Thankfully mine has stayed tight since that time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-03-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Surprising

I have never had any problem with these latches coming apart (although mine do line up vertically quite well). I keep small "bobby pins" and/or small padlocks in them when underway as insurance against them coming open on the road.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
John I have two which tend to fall off when attempting to open the compartments. Part of the problem is the lower section of the latch does not exactly line up with the upper half that the clip fits over. This puts you at an angle which allows that movable clip to slip out of place. It always happens to me when I'm in a hurry.

I really think the only fix is to try to squeeze that movable lower clip so that it holds on to the attached lower section more tightly. I also know that if I'm careful I can prevent it from falling off by not getting it too much at an angle if I'm opening or fastening the latch.

For those of you reading this, it probably doesn't make much sense. I need to probably post a picture when I get the trailer home.

Jack
Jack -

That might be what cuases mine to come apart too because a number of my latches are not lined up either. Mine don't seem to fall apart when I'm opening or closing them (when you have to put some pressure on them to open or close them because they aren't lined up) but I bet it's the pressure on them that causes the movable clip to come out of place.

I just spoke to a customer service guy at Airstream and he said he'd never heard of these latches being a problem. I can tighten them as you suggest, but as long as they're assembled out of alignment, if that's what causes the problem, then I suppose they'll always be prone to coming apart. I'll have to discuss this with the service people at Jackson Center at the end of the month when I'm there.

Thanks for the information.

John
Old 06-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
John---We have an 05 /25' classic with the same outside compartments your's does. So far I've had no problems with them except one little piece of the foam molding came loose. I did however see what you're talking about on an 04 in a dealers lot a year ago. They were ALL falling apart along with ALL the molding coming loose. I thought at the time this was the cheapest looking setup I'd ever seen. I really can't see any design difference between the 04 and our 05 but so far it shows no sign of the same problem. I also know how you feel about trading. We had an 04 Bambi that I spent over a year getting to where I felt we could "trust" it. After all that we traded it for our 05 classic. I was half afraid it might be the same but it seems to be as near perfect as I would expect. Looking back I probably should have traded when problems started becoming noticeable {hind-site}. I know this didn't answer your latch question but maybe this little bit of sympathy will help.------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:39 AM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Oh let me tell you John, I know my dealer knows about this. I can't tell you how many new trailers I looked at on the lot, where I opened the latch and it fell off in my hand. The concept is good, it just requires the upper and lower half to be mounted correctly so that no pressure is put on one side. Thankfully mine don't come apart under travel. It's just the angle necessary to get that clip over the upper latch section causes me problems on two of the locks. I always swear I'll try to tighten them up but because I'm busy either pulling out or setting up, I forget to come back and do that. Maybe before the Moraine View rally I'll do that......or better yet someone coming to the rally remind me up there. I'll do it then.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15