Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
L-100/L-200 Repair

Attached are some pictures of the lock I have which I hope will describe my problem. I am seeking any solutions you might have.

In the first picture the pin that comes out of the exterior handle shaft is shown raised a bit off the exterior plate is shown. When the shaft is in this position and the lock is assembled, it works well. In the second and third pictures, when the pin is touching the plate, the handle is too far away from the plate, and when the lock is assembled the knob turns without engaging the lock mechanism.

If I knew how to extract the pin and the metal to which it is attached, I might be able to place some sort of plastic or teflon washer under it to keep the handle in place. But, the pin part seems captive inside the handle. Does anyone know how to do this? Rebuild kits do not have this part included, so that seems a dead end.

Thanks,
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Will Work.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	176401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Won't Work.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	176402  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle Won't Work.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	176403  
rasmuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
I just toyed with my l-200 earlier tonight, I have no key so I'm trying to pick it open, I had it once already and it caught again when I apparently turned it the wrong way... But I think I may have gained some useful experience for you, the pin that seems to be attached permanently on yours almost fell out on mine, mine has a small slit in the end similiar to a roll pin that was stuck through the slotted hole and into a brass device inside said slot. So you should be able to pull the pin out with some needle nose pliers. I can tell you the brass piece is not attached to the actual lock cylinder but is actually a tail shaft sitting around the end of the cylinder somehow, I'm pretty sure if you can remove your pin and still have your key you should be able to remove the cylinder (carefully as you may have springs come out, the plates should stay with the key/cylinder assy.) if you do succeed in removing your cylinder please take note which direction you turned it to and about where it finally slid out and let me know ! Then you can try the washer idea, when I have the time and patience to give picking another shot hopefully I can share some more
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
I read your post again and realized all you need to do is pull that pin straight out, fair warning though mine never held well in the first place, and I don't see that pin in the few available rebuild kits, you wont have to remove your cylinder , lucky you ! just find a suitable washer to place in between the outer housing and the pin and it may pull the pin and brass tailpiece up enough to contact the mechanisms you need it to while still engaging with the lock cylinder. good luck !
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
Thanks for the information. I've tried pulling that pin straight out with some needle nose pliers and it seemed to be part of the disc inside it held so well. I didn't apply all that much force, but I'll try harder!

Wayne
Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Blairstown , New Jersey
I never was able to get the pin out of the lock, and fearing I would damage the lock beyond repair, I sought an alternate solution. Searching through the shelves at the local hardware store, it seemed an external spring clip might work. It was easy to install, stayed securely, and was the appropriate thickness. While the lock doesn't work like I would expect a new one to function, it is now very serviceable.

Wayne
Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i have the same problem. im going to call this a defect. ill start a new thread.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote