Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

keys

does one key fit all the locks or do all the outside panels have different keys, including the door, have no keys for my 72 overlander but i could remove an access door and take it to a locksmith and get one made, if one key fits all if not i'll just take the door to him. anybody with one of these older ones know?
dene.
mazda997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

My '71 has a common key for all the exterior acess doors and a seperate one for the main door. I don't see why a locksmith would have a problem rekeying your acess door to a common key.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

keys

thank you, As I remember locks smiths charge a lot and this airstream was being used as a storage shed when I got it so their is no interior components so for now I have no need to open any access doors maybe later once I start reinstalling an interior, for now I'll see how how much it will cost I'll take him the door because I need to lock it during the restoring process. thanks for the help. dene
Old 09-01-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

When I needed a key for my '70 Safari battery door, I took it to a local RV dealer. He took out a small box of keys and the 3rd one he tried fit the lock. He said these panel door locks are very common and a small handfull of keys fit everything. There is a good chance your neighbor can open your access doors with his keys. Comforting thought aint it

Jerry
dsrtquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:51 PM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Hate to sound like a broken record

But I always have to repeat what I did. I purchased a new lock cylinder for my Safari from Oasis RV

It was very simple to replace and came with two keys.

I also had my locksmith rekey the two access doors the same. And provide me with two keys.

None of my locks worked when I got it.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:04 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I had no keys for the 2 access doors on my 67 Caravel. I removed one from the inside, took it to a local locksmith and 1 hour later had 4 new keys. It cost $12.00.
bpaolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

re keys

I thank everone for their responses and I get a chance hopefully this week, I'll take the access panel locks down and get them rekeyed . if it's not to hard I.ll pull the door lock also evan though I still have to pull the door to rework the hinge. I'll post the results and what it cost. thanks dene.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
On my '01 Bambi I have several keys:
1 for door latch lock
1 for door deadbolt
1 for rear storage door
1 for freshwater access door

Then I have a small Masterlock on my battery, and a Tongue lock, mid size Masterlock on my Propane Tanks, so 7 different keys in all
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:04 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickk48
On my '01 Bambi I have several keys:
1 for door latch lock
1 for door deadbolt
1 for rear storage door
1 for freshwater access door

Then I have a small Masterlock on my battery, and a Tongue lock, mid size Masterlock on my Propane Tanks, so 7 different keys in all
All those except propane bottles, plus a long-shank MasterLock for the spare tire carrier, two small keyed-alike padlocks for the bumper storage, and a MasterLock for the between wheel expanding chock. Add one for the receiver pin, also
On top of that, I put a lock on an interior cabinet to secure camera, laptop, and my wife's purse at rallys where we don't want to lock the door all the time.

Lots of keys!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:08 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Smile re keys

took the locks to a local locksmith charged 16.00 received 4 keys
back access panel and door same key, two side access panels keyed alike, so have two different keys plus the spare two, worked out pretty good, my overlander unfortunately has the flip lever lock set up for the main door, and they are astronomically priced to replace, but yankee ingenuity prevailed a spring from a truck tire valve core, a round tip from a steel rivit(sanded smooth where cut off with linemans pliers) a small screw inserted and cut off extra length put it back together and works better than new,
the lock unlock lever kept falling down in it's slot automatically locking the door everytime you closed it. making it a pain to remember to lift the tiny lever everytime you wanted to exit the airstream, and hopefully always had your key to get back in. problem solved. thanks to all who gave advice. going for a little test trip of 100 miles on never moved since bought new in 1970 overlander. hope I forgot nothing on the restoreation list.

Dene.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:10 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Smile door lock

since i was on last i found the whole flip type assembly at a little mom and pop place sitting on a dusty shelf gave 86.00 for it and am very happy, sorry they only had one.