Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Key spins in Keeler main door lock

I have a 1986 Sovereign with a Keeler door lock which does not work. When I put in the key to unlock the main door it just spun. My kid squeezed thru the storage compartment to open the door. The basic door latching system appears to work fine. I can open and shut the door with it latching properly. The key just does not actuate the locking mechanisim. It seems like something in the key tumbler has broken.
A few questions
1) Has anyone experianced a similar problem?
2) What is the fix?
3) Replacement parts - best place for these (noticed VTS has some Keeler tumblers)
4) Do you have to pull out the whole latching assembly to make this repair?
Thanks ahead - Scott
Harrysheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You need a new lock core. The pin is broken off the old one. Remove the latch assembly. There are screws in the door frame and on the inside. The latch assembly will then come out. The latch handle probably has cracks in it as well. Try VTS for the lock core. If you have a dead bolt in the door grab handle like mine then just use that lock. It is more secure that way anyhow.

The PO ruined the lock in the grab handle and the lock core was bad in the door latch. I did get the door handle lock fixed eventually. I also had a bad latch handle and made a replacement handle out of aluminum. I started making them in small batches to sell to members. There is another guy on here that makes them out of stainless steel. VTS use to carry them but they have been out for a while so I hear.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Perry,
I ordered a new core from VTS as they have some Keeler new/old stock. I will remove and rework the lock as well. My handle was been replaced a few years ago by the PO.
Thanks, Scott
Old 10-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Perry you nailed it. The lock core pin was not the original and had sheared off. It was a short lock set with long pin. The VTS Keeler replacement fit well.
Scott