Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
key blanks needed

anyone know where I can get a blank for my 1960 tradewind door lock. I have one but need a certain blank to reproduce more
thanks Judy
Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have had keys made for both our trailers at a local locksmith shop - no problem. Not the "big box" stores, a real locksmith. I believe he said our '56 is the same as an old 40-something Ford.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, getting keys made for an Airstream is a challenge; I was told or read on this forum that it couldn't be done. I'm hard headed and took that as a personal challenge. My major super duper lock smith shop that can make anything you want was only able to make two keys for my deadbolt lock. [he didn't have the other blanks] Last week I went to another major lock smith and he made me two keys for my main door lock. So it can be done and isn't impossible, but it's not like just having another house key made. I even went to RV Super Stores [a few] and they don't make keys or even have blanks to sell. Good Luck.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
Vintage Trailer Supply has Bargman blanks for '60s and '70s Airstreams ... I need to order a couple, myself.

Vintage Trailer Door Parts (scroll to the bottom)
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Being a old car guy a Ford car key blank will work fine. Several key places in Fort Worth, TX carry a full selection of these.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
In regards to the access doors the local AS dealer had the keys I needed. He said that there was just a few different configurations. He also said the keys are only available through him?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, getting keys made for an Airstream is a challenge; I was told or read on this forum that it couldn't be done. I'm hard headed and took that as a personal challenge. My major super duper lock smith shop that can make anything you want was only able to make two keys for my deadbolt lock. [he didn't have the other blanks] Last week I went to another major lock smith and he made me two keys for my main door lock. So it can be done and isn't impossible, but it's not like just having another house key made. I even went to RV Super Stores [a few] and they don't make keys or even have blanks to sell. Good Luck.
Airstream now sells key blanks for both the deadbolt and main door in the store on their website...I would assume for the newer models.
https://store.airstream.com/index.php?cPath=25
Old 06-03-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Blank Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Barde
anyone know where I can get a blank for my 1960 tradewind door lock. I have one but need a certain blank to reproduce more
thanks Judy
Judy
Can you post a picture of the key?

We have a bunch of blank keys. Here are a couple of the most popular.

This may be the one you are looking for.
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
Here is my key it is a 1960 trade wind with a bargman lock that looks like your photo SKU2920
Thanks Judy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1240.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	61779  
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Judy, my 1960 Tradewind key was duplicated by a local locksmith who has an extensive inventory. However, I just happened to be standing near the keys in ACE hardware several weeks ago and spotted my Bargman blank. The Vintage Trailer Supply blanks work for 1969 and newer trailers.

If nothing pans out on the forums, a good locksmith should have a blank key for most Bargman locks. Also, if you need compartment keys, my locksmith tells me the rear access is a Chicago or Trimark key blank AP3 or TM3. The fridge access is a Yale key blank for a simple cam lock.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Old style key cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Selking View Post
Being a old car guy a Ford car key blank will work fine. Several key places in Fort Worth, TX carry a full selection of these.
I talked with the guys on the parts counter and they remember the key but we don't have it. That key that goes with the L-66 lock which is one of those keys I listed on my post is NOT the same key as the one you have Judy.
This is the lock

This is the key that goes with that lock

That link will take you to our site and if you want to try that key you can get it from the site. We do accept Paypal through our website.

We do ship US Mail on small items like this. If I can ship it cheaper than UPS I do, and refund the differance of what the cart charged.

What our parts guys suggest is taking your key to a Mom/Pop hardware store that has the old style key cutter and get a key that has the same thickness as your key and get them to cut it. Your key does not have any groves on it that I can see and if it is the same size , it should work. A customer had the same problem and that is what he did.

What ever way you go I would like to hear the results.

I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Dan
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Any luck with your key? I have several automotive key blanks from the 40's and 50's. One appears to be similar to yours. It is smooth on the same side as shown in your scan but the opposite side has a groove half the thickness and half the width of the key. It is a Curtis Ind. blank # H-5. If you think it might work, pm me with your address and I'll send one to you. Here's a picture I hope. Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00964.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	62286  
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Judy ~

Any luck with getting a new key for your L-66 door lock? I've lost my keys long before we moved over a year ago and I was really hoping the keys would have surfaced by now. I also need a new door key because of this. I have back-ups for all other locks.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Key update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, as mentioned earlier, my main lock shop made two keys for my dead bolt and they work fine. But the two keys made at another lock shop for the main door latch didn't work. I just pulled my trailer forward this week so I could do some more mods to it and test my new keys out. The cut looked perfect and the alignment grooves matched, so why wouldn't they work? I noticed the original keys were pointed at the tip and the new keys were rounded at the tip; So I filed the tips to match. They still didn't work. Then after almost giving up, [hard headed me] from playing with these keys for close to an hour, I noticed the differrence. The original keys, [the shoulder part] actually went into the lock and the new keys stopped at the face of the lock, therefore not going in far enough. With a small round file I was able to narrow the shoulder part of the key about 0.030" so it would fit inside of the lock and, success! Now I have two spare sets of keys. Moral of this story: Unless you like challenges and are hard headed like me, just buy precut keys from the lock manufacturer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote