Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Key Blanks

We'd like to get some extra keys made for our '04 and were told we could purchase key blanks from Airstream. Checking the Airstream website, we couldn't find keyblanks on the list of items for sale. Can anyone give us guidance in this effort? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I know my AS is considerably older, but a good locksmith in town had blanks for all compartments plus my old Bargman L77 door lock. Got two extra sets. A well supplied locksmith might work for you if don't have luck with Airstream.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Contact your dealer. That is where I got mine for my 2002 Safari.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I think you'll pay an arm and a leg for key(s) from AS.

We got extra sets of keys made at a well stocked large locksmith dealer (Yellow Pages), not at Home depot.

I had a slight problem with one of the two door lock keys not working and I wish I could remember if it was the top one or the deadbolt.

In any event, what they had to do is trim the shoulder of that one key to get it to work. This after having the key made twice.

After they trimmed the shoulder, the key(s) worked fine.

So if you have this situation on one of your locks, before having a new one made, try having the shoulder filed a bit, or if your handy, you could give it a shot yourself.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Old 09-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Call Airstream

ZoominC6,

Airstream has blanks for most models at their factory service center in Jackson Center, Ohio. Just call and ask for parts. Also, many dealers also have blanks. Any locksmith can cut the keys once you get the blanks.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
I think you'll pay an arm and a leg for key(s) from AS.

We got extra sets of keys made at a well stocked large locksmith dealer (Yellow Pages), not at Home depot.

I had a slight problem with one of the two door lock keys not working and I wish I could remember if it was the top one or the deadbolt.

In any event, what they had to do is trim the shoulder of that one key to get it to work. This after having the key made twice.

After they trimmed the shoulder, the key(s) worked fine.

So if you have this situation on one of your locks, before having a new one made, try having the shoulder filed a bit, or if your handy, you could give it a shot yourself.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
I had my keys made locally and had the same problem with the upper door key (in other words, not the dead bolt). I trimmed the shoulder off witha Dremel too and it worked fine.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I purchased blanks from the Service Center in JC a few weeks ago. I was told to take them to the local hardware store in town and they would cut them for me for free. However, I didn't have time that day.

The key cutter at HD told me their machines were too automated to cut anything except certain brands and that I should take them to a hardware store with an old fashioned key lathe that wasn't automated and they could cut it for me. I haven't had a chance to do so yet, though.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I purchased blanks from the Service Center in JC a few weeks ago. I was told to take them to the local hardware store in town and they would cut them for me for free. However, I didn't have time that day. .
hi key seekers....

the hardware store mentioned above is owned by a retired a/s electrical engineer i think. anyway really nice guy and they will cut 'em for free.

zoominc6...
just call the factory store. they've got the blanks. price is fair.
get a tee shirt or some other stuff (like sealant) to spread the shipping charge.
some dealers do keep a supply of blank keys, others don't.
my selling dealer will get them for customers without jacking the price...
other dealers want more than the factory store.

the extras/blanks will NOT be the cute rubber coated version...

those only come with new new as new.

pretty sure all replacements are just bare keys.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
There were no local locksmiths that had blanks for my 05. Even a hardware store that prides itself on being able to duplicate all types of keys. Finally got them duplicated at my AS dealer for 3 bucks each.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
There were no local locksmiths that had blanks for my 05. Even a hardware store that prides itself on being able to duplicate all types of keys. Finally got them duplicated at my AS dealer for 3 bucks each.
Considering the cost of everything else associated with an Airstream, that was quite reasonable.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Because its possible to accidentally lock yourself out, I had no problem with Home Depot making extra duplicate keys. They work well and are kept handy.
I just wish we didn’t need so many different keys for all the different style locks.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

I am a Locksmith and one thing that I offer/sell when makeing keys is a tag listing a phone number (your #) Reward If found Call. A tag like you one you might find on your pet w/ info. I made one for each of my Airstreams and used Military dog tags and my dog tag stamping machine. Of course I didnt put my name or adress on it - though phone number & reward. Keys are very costly and incoveniet (sp) to replace - I know, I see it dailey.
FYI - you wont find many Locksmiths stocking those keys - and for sure wont find a Walmart - or hardware storeing them either. Why? They are expensive and they dont sell. So its a dead inventory situation.
Duplicating your existing keys "should" be done on what is called a "code" machine. Why - because what people dont realize is that through the years your keys wear and eventually may not work. Haveing a hardware store duplicate a key is only duplicating a worn key. Code cutting actually makes a new key to the factory spec right from the begining. A brand new walmart key isnt any better than your old one - though is better than no key at all in an emergancy.

Happy Camping

Lisa
Trailer Princess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Forgot - couple more things. "IF" you do have a couple spare keys - take one and get a heavy duty Zip Tie and zip it to the frame. That way when your out camping and you lock yourself out all you have to do it get a wire cutter, or really sharp knife cut it off & whalla - dont forget to put it back though in case there is a next time. Thats what I do even with my vehicals. Dosnt help to be a locksmith if all my tools ar locked up in the van.
Sticking a key in the lock & wiggling it & fileing the marks - thats called impressioning. It is a skill that namy locksmiths dont have let alone somone who is not a locksmith. Your best insurance - have extra keys made now. If somone calls me & are locked out its either a 60.00 lockout fee, or a $50.00 trip fee plus - To me an extra key is worth a whole lot more than you think.

Lisa
Trailer Princess1 is offline   Reply With Quote