Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1977 20' Argosy 20
Hope to roam free again soon , North Carolina
Is this latch/lock salvageable? It has been abused ('72 Safari)

From my newly acquired '72 Safari, this lock appears to have been drilled through the tumbler (now missing) and the vertical locking shaft (half remains and comes out freely). There is some metal missing from the edges tumbler hole.

My main question is this: If I replace the tumbler and shaft ($60) will it function correctly and will the tumbler stay securely in the hole?

I know it won't be cosmetically perfect, in fact, cosmetically speaking it is the worst part of the whole trailer, but for 10% of the cost of a new lock, I'd rather try the repair.

Opinions?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook View Post
From my newly acquired '72 Safari, this lock appears to have been drilled through the tumbler (now missing) and the vertical locking shaft (half remains and comes out freely). There is some metal missing from the edges tumbler hole.

My main question is this: If I replace the tumbler and shaft ($60) will it function correctly and will the tumbler stay securely in the hole?

I know it won't be cosmetically perfect, in fact, cosmetically speaking it is the worst part of the whole trailer, but for 10% of the cost of a new lock, I'd rather try the repair.

Opinions?

Betcha 'Inland RV' or 'Vintage Trailer' will be able to help you.
Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think youi could make it work. I would take a 15/32" drill bit and wrap a layer of saran wrap around the smooth end. Then carve a piece of would to fill in the key slot. Slide the wood in along the drill bit shank; then pour JB Weld into the holes that were drilled. Once the JB Weld has setup (usually 24 hrs); remove the drill bit, wood and saran wrap. Check the fit of the new lock cylinder. If it is too tight, take a 1/2" drill bit and carefully enlarge the hole. Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
You might want to consider changing the door knob/lock. Take a look at Vintage Trailer Supply. They offer knobs and lock sets a very reasonable prices.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I think youi could make it work. I would take a 15/32" drill bit and wrap a layer of saran wrap around the smooth end. Then carve a piece of would to fill in the key slot. Slide the wood in along the drill bit shank; then pour JB Weld into the holes that were drilled. Once the JB Weld has setup (usually 24 hrs); remove the drill bit, wood and saran wrap. Check the fit of the new lock cylinder. If it is too tight, take a 1/2" drill bit and carefully enlarge the hole. Good Luck!
This sounds like plan 'A' to me, I think the JB weld will show a little bit around the flange on the lock, but the price is right. I hope the latch itself isn't too pitted to sand/polish up.
Thanks...
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
You might want to consider changing the door knob/lock. Take a look at Vintage Trailer Supply. They offer knobs and lock sets a very reasonable prices.
Sounds like you are voting against salvaging this one.... that is going to be plan 'B'

If anybody else has any repair ideas/techniques, I'm still listening,

Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
My husband is a locksmith. He says he is pretty sure your lock may not be salvageable. What you are referring to is a cylinder plug and not a tumbler. Cylinder plugs are held in different ways and he cannot see enough of yours to see how it was held in. He says the jb weld may not be necessary, it depends on whether the shaft is damaged. If it is drilled off, the cylinder will not act against it. However, is not familiar with your particular lock and he is assuming the brass shaft in the picture is the locking shaft and that it is cut off as opposed to just nicked. If the locking shaft is just nicked slighhtly you may be able to salvage it. If you want to add more photos or if you know where he can look at a photo of the pieces of a functional one he can tell you for sure.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook View Post
Sounds like you are voting against salvaging this one.... that is going to be plan 'B'

If anybody else has any repair ideas/techniques, I'm still listening,

Thanks
Look on page 18 and 19 of my 71 Gt thread. I replaced mine but I had to re-skin the door to do so.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html
Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
$20.00 fix

Have you considered installing a dead bolt? Then you could just fill in the key hole and use the door handle to enter and exit. Use the dead bolt to lock up the trailer.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Have you considered installing a dead bolt? Then you could just fill in the key hole and use the door handle to enter and exit. Use the dead bolt to lock up the trailer.
When you add a "dead bolt" to the cast frame, you further "WEAKEN" the door frame.

When that door then is slammed, it's chance of cracking the cast frame becomes very good.

Owning an Airstream is never free. Sometimes it costs a little for care, and sometimes it costs a lot for repair.

Most owners chose to do it the right way, and then they can forget about it.

Whoever drilled a hole to remove the tumbler, certainly didn't know anything about a KT lock.

The tumblers are removed with a sheetmetal screw and a claw hammer, in less than 5 seconds, if that long, AND, without causing any damage to anything.

Andy
Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I noticed an airstream lock on eBay, just FYI.