Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
How to theftproof an Airstream?

I plan to park my '69 Ambassador on my lot near Galveston. What would you experienced people recommend as a security measure to keep it from being towed away?
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
What Kind of Neighbors?

I like dogs. Believe it or not most thieves dislike little yappy mutts. I also like a bigger one with long teeth to go along with it.
But what about neighbors? There is safety in numbers. I like old people around and some kids. A little kindness goes a long way.
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Theft proofing

I am beginning to wonder if the best deterrent is to jack up the coach and remove the wheels. Comments?

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by markparker22
I am beginning to wonder if the best deterrent is to jack up the coach and remove the wheels. Comments?
How about if I bring along my own wheels?

In europe, they have square steel plates (actually triangles would be better)they bolt on in place of the wheels. Keeps the brake drums out of the dirt. And you could figure out some bulletproof way to lock the plates to the axle or hub.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

If you want to remain mobile, sink a large steel eye hook in concrete poured into a 3 foot hole under the trailer and use some hardened chain and a quality lock to secure it from the trailer to the eye hook.
Cheap and easy.

You can also use this method to secure a car or a motorcycle or whatever.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Chain it to a really large tree like my husband did. Looks tacky, but might make the neighbors suspicious if someone was out cutting through it.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Cut the tongue off the trailer...then there is nothing for them hitch up too The only other thing is to take precautions, like parking something hard to move in front of the trailer, use hitch locks, chain it to the ground, and make sure your theft policy is paid up.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
another cheap and easy way is to figure eight a heavy duty chain or cable through the wheels.

lock it with a quality padlock.

john
Old 12-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Parking it on a lot. What does that mean? No neighbors -- no lights -- no electricity? No police, no security, no one there to hear a tree fall in the woods? Would it make a sound?

__
This lot is in a residential area fairly close to Galveston Bay in a community called Crystal Beach. I plan to leave the AS unattended for much of the year, but to have it always available for quick fishing or meditative getaways from Tyler, TX where I live (about 5 hr away). I want to leave the AS tow-able, but secure. My neighbor across the street keeps the lot mowed for me to provide hay to feed his goats. I'm glad he likes me, because he's so mean that I doubt anyone would get away with stealing the AS--but some thieves are very daring.
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You could fence the lot, turn the goats loose, and put up a sign that says

"DANGER-CARNIV0ROUS GOATS"
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Thumbs up Lock the ball coupler

My friend had the exact same concern with his car trailer over the winter. By the way, he keeps his 1966 Chevelle in the trailer for storage. He found a device that locks into the hitch ball socket of the trailer making it impossible (well at least very difficult) to hook up to the trailer without removal of the unit. As I recall it was $30 and made by Master ® Lock.

If that doesn’t suite your fancy – perhaps armed guards may be the answer!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Just a thought.....

Not to take this to far off topic........ There was a simmilar thread recently and it left me wondering what the actual risk of loss of an airstream coach represents. Do that many of them get stolen, and if so what are the risk factors? For example: are new ones at greater risk of theft due to value, or vintage ones because some might think that being old they wouldnt generate the intensity in a search that a newer one might (not saying that is the case mind you). Is regional location a big influence? I also find my self wondering if, in fact, not all that many actually get stolen comparatively but because of our interest and having tools, such as this forum, we become aware of the losses and assume that there is a higher rate of theft than is justified by actual numbers. It seems that there would be alot of downsides to stealing an airstream; they dont blend in all that well, if you put one on your land for a hunting cabin your one VIN check away from trouble, and I would think registration would be tough if you wanted to tow the thing. I am not saying they do not get taken, but it would be nice to know how many actually are so we could better assess our individual risk and plan accordingly.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #13
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
My wife's cousin and her husband leave an Avion parked on their remote lot near Globe AZ all year round. Its been there for thee years now and hasn't be bothered. We put a lock on the wheel that acts much like the "boots" put on by the police for too many unpaid parking tickets. I think it would be pretty hard for it to be removed or stolen. More recently I discovered a lock that goes through the wheel holes (not the bolt holes, rather, the cut-out air holes) and hooks around the leaf spring, locking on the outside of the wheel. This won't help with standard AS axles, but it sure would be hard to steal something with this lock on. I think both of these should be available at RV/Utility trailer dealers. I think they are also available on-line. Below are some ideas:
http://www.utilityaz.com/wheel_lock.htm

http://www.trailerlock.com/

http://wctproducts.com/H_series_immobilizer_page.htm

http://www.fishing-catalog.com/hammerlock/wheel.htm
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
We lock the tounge(s) and the door(s). Oh yeah, and post guards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guard Duty.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	17003  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Sign on the door that says: "Warning! Loose pet rattlesnake inside!!"
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Maybe I was'nt clear it what I was trying to say. It was'nt my contention that Airstreams do not get stolen or that the hours of work and attachment to our coaches doesnt make any single loss less painful when it happens. I was simply wondering what the actual risk is. For example; this forum has ten thousand members now if I understand correctly, presumably the greater number of members own coaches. In that contex, the two losses mentoned is a fairly small number. I think this is a worth while thought for two reasons; first, I like to keep my paranoia in check. Second, being of limited resources, spending excessive money on protective devices that could be better spent otherwise does not appeal to me. There is alot of work that needs to be done on my coach including the addition of a genset, a lojac system would set that back a fair bit . I also wasn't saying not to take appropriate security measures; I simply think that if we know what the actual probailities are we can better judge the risk and choose the most appropriate security measures.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Just slow them down - they'll go elsewhere!

Rodney et al -

All you can do, Vintage or New or in between, is SLOW them down. As said by others more wise than I, 'If they want it, it's gone - period." All you can do is slow down the amateurs and they will move on to another unit.

It is that simple, and yet it isn't. Some folks won't get to sleep at night worrying about something that doesn't bother me in the least. Ce' la vie!

All I can do is put a resonable amount of time, $ and effort into getting them to decide on another trailer than mine. I have a hitch pin lock, wheel block, and tire covers ( not when camping). That is the best I can do/ afford/ am willing to do ( unless I hear the Clissic Limiteds are HUGE sellers in Dubai or somewhere). Again, my thinking is that idiot trailer thief is looking for a easy to steal unit with the provebial 'keys in the ignition" type trialer. Saw plenty of them this summer BTW!!!! Hensley/Equalizer hitch in the ball just hangin there waiting for a 4x4 to back up and pull away.... Not that I wouldn't call 911, but Puh - lease!?!?!?

Just get 'em to bypass your unit with basic common sense, for easier pickins for them, and you'll be OK IMO.

Best of luck!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #18
D E CANADA

1994 28' Excella
Boise , Idaho
A very inexpensive method that I use is to use an old 2 5/16" ball, or purchase an new one for $15, and screw the nut on until you have 1 inch of thread showing. Now have a welder place a couple of 3/4" beads along the nut and threads so the nut can not be removed. Place the ball into the receiver and lock with the best paddlock that you can purchase. I use a lock called Abloy lock made in Finland, which is hardened and inpossible to pick.
decanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I live in the city and Chummy is parked by our house. My biggest concern is not that someone would steal him but that someone would try and break-in. The damage done to the door, exterior panels, windows, and locks would be in some cases non-repairable. I am almost tempted to leave it unlocked with absolutely nothing of value inside . There are signs on the windows about our alarm system which you can purchase. Who knows what kind of system is installed? There are lights all around and I pray.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
In my neck of the woods, theft of the vehicle really isn't an issue. What is the issue is burglary of the unit itself. In our area the thieves pretty much go after motor homes since lot of goodies are usually inside, and the basement storage also finds many treasures. They find us trailer folk keep very little of value nor do we have the storage for the nicer items like built in TV's, Video equipment, Sound Systems, GPS units etc.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote