Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #16

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Maybe I was'nt clear it what I was trying to say. It was'nt my contention that Airstreams do not get stolen or that the hours of work and attachment to our coaches doesnt make any single loss less painful when it happens. I was simply wondering what the actual risk is. For example; this forum has ten thousand members now if I understand correctly, presumably the greater number of members own coaches. In that contex, the two losses mentoned is a fairly small number. I think this is a worth while thought for two reasons; first, I like to keep my paranoia in check. Second, being of limited resources, spending excessive money on protective devices that could be better spent otherwise does not appeal to me. There is alot of work that needs to be done on my coach including the addition of a genset, a lojac system would set that back a fair bit . I also wasn't saying not to take appropriate security measures; I simply think that if we know what the actual probailities are we can better judge the risk and choose the most appropriate security measures.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Just slow them down - they'll go elsewhere!

Rodney et al -

All you can do, Vintage or New or in between, is SLOW them down. As said by others more wise than I, 'If they want it, it's gone - period." All you can do is slow down the amateurs and they will move on to another unit.

It is that simple, and yet it isn't. Some folks won't get to sleep at night worrying about something that doesn't bother me in the least. Ce' la vie!

All I can do is put a resonable amount of time, $ and effort into getting them to decide on another trailer than mine. I have a hitch pin lock, wheel block, and tire covers ( not when camping). That is the best I can do/ afford/ am willing to do ( unless I hear the Clissic Limiteds are HUGE sellers in Dubai or somewhere). Again, my thinking is that idiot trailer thief is looking for a easy to steal unit with the provebial 'keys in the ignition" type trialer. Saw plenty of them this summer BTW!!!! Hensley/Equalizer hitch in the ball just hangin there waiting for a 4x4 to back up and pull away.... Not that I wouldn't call 911, but Puh - lease!?!?!?

Just get 'em to bypass your unit with basic common sense, for easier pickins for them, and you'll be OK IMO.

Best of luck!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #18
1997 34' Limited
Boise , Idaho
A very inexpensive method that I use is to use an old 2 5/16" ball, or purchase an new one for $15, and screw the nut on until you have 1 inch of thread showing. Now have a welder place a couple of 3/4" beads along the nut and threads so the nut can not be removed. Place the ball into the receiver and lock with the best paddlock that you can purchase. I use a lock called Abloy lock made in Finland, which is hardened and inpossible to pick.
decanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I live in the city and Chummy is parked by our house. My biggest concern is not that someone would steal him but that someone would try and break-in. The damage done to the door, exterior panels, windows, and locks would be in some cases non-repairable. I am almost tempted to leave it unlocked with absolutely nothing of value inside . There are signs on the windows about our alarm system which you can purchase. Who knows what kind of system is installed? There are lights all around and I pray.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
In my neck of the woods, theft of the vehicle really isn't an issue. What is the issue is burglary of the unit itself. In our area the thieves pretty much go after motor homes since lot of goodies are usually inside, and the basement storage also finds many treasures. They find us trailer folk keep very little of value nor do we have the storage for the nicer items like built in TV's, Video equipment, Sound Systems, GPS units etc.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
1979 29' Ambassador
Lago Vista, working in Tyler , Texas
Hey Vince,

I also live in Tyler (in a 79 Ambassordor). Well just transferring from Austin. All the houses in Galveston are on stilts . So it would be a good idea to be able to get it out during the raining season.

xploretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
How about this?

Theft and flood proof in one elegant step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as heaven_edited.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	17164  
bobechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Originally Posted by 65GT
I love the pic, but that thing must violate local codes somehow!!

__ some parts of Coastal NC it is SOP, in fact they do it with full sized mobile homes....

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #24
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Now, if you really want to take this to the next level......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tall.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	17182  

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Trump Tower

Well, Let's See....

It looks a lot more inviting than Trump Tower. I bet we could catch a subway train right up to$300 to go to the airport by shuttle bus.

Sorry, I could not help myself.

My favorite is the one with the boat and ramp next to the Airstream on stilts.
And I would take all the ribbing you all could give me, smile and maybe head for the empty desert for a break from fishing buddies.

fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #26
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Oh, you kids!
On my Excella, I've installed a hidden switch that kills the 12V power super Jack. I also use a ball hitch locking thing.

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
There is at least on rather comprehensive thread on this from last year with measures and counter measures. I will have a hidden set of switches that disable the brake and other lights, prehpas getting an officers attention. A direct short to the brakes and a siren from the 12v on the pigtail will have to be turned off. Plug in and the brakes lock and siren goes off. Replacing burnt brakes would be better than the trailer. In the end if someone really wants your bambi and they have the time they will get it. And yes they to get stolen rather regular. There are several threads of this as well. One by the guy who designed the CCD's having his taken. There are GPS tracking services you can install which activate if the trailer is energized.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
You may want to consider putting a GPS locater somewhere in the trailer. Hidden of course. That way if it does stray you can find it. Regardless, I'd be putting a small official tag by the door stating that it has one installed. Does anyone make these stickers? It might be a deterent. Barry

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote