Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
How To Remove These ???

Need some words of wisdon as to how to get the pins out of the lock shaft. Tried pulling on them with pliers, couldnt get a drill bit in there to drill them out. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00138.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	99989  

https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...7-clyde-2.html
Clyde-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I have no idea what I am looking at. But I will help best I can. Are those rolled pins? I am assuming that you can not drive them out the other side with a punch.
CAPTNDAVIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It looks like an early 70s door lock. Those should be roll pins and they should drive out with a punch.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
These are roll pins. They're somewhat hard and springy, and are pressed or driven into a reamed or drilled hole. If installed blind (so you cannot push them all the way through either because the hole doesn't go through or there's no space on the back side), they're kind of annoying (as in can be truly vexing) to remove.

These look really small. If there's any space behind them, drive or press them through. You may need to make a tool for that job if you don't have the right size pin punch; grinding down the end of a 20p nail will often do the trick. You can cut the end off of the nail, mount in an electric drill and grind or file the end down pretty well to make the right size tool.

Blind ones this small are difficult. I take it you've tried vice grips. Professional removal tools grab the protruding end and have a slide hammer to pull the pin.

If you can, avoid taking it apart all the way
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
How much material is sticking out of the hole? Is it enough to get a pair of vice grips on the end? If so use the vice grip to pinch the pin closed and pull cautiously. Do not "bugger" up the end of the pin. If it does not move on first try, tighten the vice grip a little more.
You may need to purchase a small good quality pair of vice grips.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
Barts is right, its a 70's era door latch from my Overlander. The pins are installed blind. Have tried vise grips to no avail. They are rolled hollow pins. Hammered on them a bit with an awl and they moved inward some. Gave up after about 30 mins. Suspect I will have to fab a removal tool. Thought about taking it to my local locksmith to see if he had something that would get them out.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Madison , Mississippi
If the holes they're in go all the way through you should be able to drive them through with a pin punch slightly smaller than the roll pin.
Birdwell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde-2 View Post
The pins are installed blind. Have tried vise grips to no avail. They are rolled hollow pins. Hammered on them a bit with an awl and they moved inward some.
If you can see behind 'em at all w/ an inspection mirror like the dentist uses, make sure the hole goes through and there's clearance space to remove the pins before driving them any further in.

An awl has the unfortunate tendency of expanding the end of the pin and making things worse; you really want something w/ a flat end.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
ask for Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde-2 View Post
Need some words of wisdon as to how to get the pins out of the lock shaft. Tried pulling on them with pliers, couldnt get a drill bit in there to drill them out. Any help would be appreciated.
Call the Out-of-Doors Mart and ask for Paul in Parts
1-866-636-2267

Fix
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
From looking at your picture and your statement about getting them to move with the awl and then had them stop I would guess there is not enough room to drive them through. The only thing I can think of is to drill them out but that is problem because drill bits that diameter are too short for the drill chuck to have clearance in that tight space. If the drill was long enough it would be like a piece of spaghetti anyway and probably snap. You could probably fab a drill bit extender by using a drill countersink which has a drill bit mounted in the center of a countersink bit and and the drill protrudes about an inch. The shaft of the countersink bit chucks into your drill motor. I have some that have six sided shafts that could be inserted into a socket. So you would have a short drill mounted in a holder that is extended long enough by a socket and extension to reach the roll pin and drill it out.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
I can feel the other side of the shaft with my finger and the holes do not go all the way through. Will double check with an inspection mirror.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Rolled pins are usually very a hard material and difficult to drill. If you get off center of the pin you will mess up the hole. If they are "Blind" pins, they probably don't go more than half way thru the hinge pin. I'd try soaking them with penetrating oil just to soften any corrosion that may have occured. Be careful because the rolled pin is also very brittle and you could break it off.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote