Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
We use a bungee cord and a tent stake when we want the door half open. We just put it below the end of the door. We use a large rock or a brick on the ground if the door is over concrete This is not high- tech but it works.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Myoung
West Marine should have what you're looking for , or any marine store , even the small ones around lakes . The reason I went to marine is because you can find the eye hooks in stainless steel which is what I wanted . The rod I used was 3/8 and fit the eye hook snug so the door would not have any play . I'm sure the 1/4 rod is fine as long as the eye hook fits it . Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Thanks, ticki2,

I plan to put rubber or silicone surgical tubing over the 1/4-inch rod ends to cushion the connection. That should keep the movement to a minimum.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello door fixers,

On my 60 tradewind it has a small chain about 4" long rivited to the top inside
upper wall just above the door opening ,a long spring is then attached to it
attached to the rivited (factory) buck rivit ,small bracket ,the door opens more than half way or more tension on the spring ,design so nothing gets bustd off if the door gets a shove further open by accident.You can unhook
the spring from the door bracket if you want and open the door all the way back .Nothing on the ground to trip over or to get ripped off the side of the trailer.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Scott
That sounds like another good plan . However , my requirement was that the door be held in a fixed position . If it opened more it would hit the awning bracket and cause damage and I didn't want it to slam shut when a breeze came along .

Myoung
I like the tubing idea , sort of a replacable cushion
Old 07-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I like the idea of the bunji cords. You can buy them in any color (how about blue) and you can even buy the cord and ends separately to make your own length. I would get 2 to form an upside down V from the inside door handle down to either tent stakes or better yet, those auger shaped rods you screw into the ground for your pooch when you don't want him to run off. There will be some movement in the door but not much.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Sounds like a aluminum cool ground up to the door holder is the ticket.Say somthing in the shape sort of like those aluminum stabalizer jack
stands ,Put one under the door edge and rotate the threaded shaft up to the
bottom door edge ,you could have a soft rubber cushion that touches the door itself and it will stay ,if windy ,then turn the shaft a little tighter to hold
the door and the base wont tip over .My tradewind had an original set in the rear trunk ,but the new ones they sell at rv stores look the same .Easy to
stow away and a couple minutes to put in place ,adjust high and low depending on the ground /terraine . simple ,maybe ??

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Ticki2,

We did it. The design you suggested works well. We used a 1/4-inch rod which bent fairly easily and has enough rigidity to resist buckling. If the wind is ever so strong to buckle the rod, we probably should have the whole trailer tied down!!

I bought two small Omega-shaped fairleads at the local West Marine store. There were many options to choose from but I bought the smallest and least expensive I could find, which had an intended benefit. I hadn't considered the height of the fairleads on the side of the trailer and on the door, but when the door is opened fully and latched to the side of the trailer in its normal position, it is important that the height of the two fairleads be so little that they don't touch the side or door. I hope this makes sense.

The most expensive component was the shrink fit tubing, which as it turned out was not really necessary. There isn't enough movement where the rod enters the fairlead to warrant having this extra cushioning.

The hardest part of the job was screwing in the self-tapping #8 stainless steel screws. I was surprised how difficult it was to cut the thread into the aluminium skins of the door and trailer. I had to drill the hole as large as the root diameter of the screw or just a bit bigger. Even then I had to repeatedly screw them in and out a little at a time by hand. I suppose it's good to know that the skin is so tough.

The next time we revisit our trailer I take a picture or two for posting for those interested.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Myoung

Glad to hear it worked for you , mine worked just as I hoped it would , which is always a pleasant suprise . Looking foward to your pictures .
Old 07-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes -- pictures are gooder! Thanks Mike. This was a good idea to ask about. I've got the two fixed windows but the door sure blocks light coming through.

I seem to recall a member with one of the 2005 FB Safaris. They had a suicide door that only opened 90 degrees, then hooked to the awning arm. I've heard maybe five of these were made but that may be wrong. I did see one at a dealer in June '05 and the bracket on the door had already loosened, probably from the human factor and wind.

Some of these suggestions sounded like a variation of the Hold-Awn system.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Finally, pix.....

Here are two pictures of the contraption that I use to hold the door open at about 90 degrees so as not to block the kitchen window. I used a 1/4-inch aluminum rod purchased at Home Depot. I bent both ends 90 degrees leaving about 2 inches on each end. I put shrink-wrap plastic over the rod, but this wasn't necessary and interestingly was the most expensive component, over $3 I think.

The two stainless steel attachment points on the trailer and the door are fairleads that I purchased at West Marine. They are fastened by self-tapping screws that took more effort than I had expected. Wow, the skin of an Airstream is tough stuff. I put silicone caulk in the holes just for good measure.

Each fairlead spans a rivet head as suggested in one of the earlier posts. This would help alleviate any rubbing on the body panels, but in reality nothing moves very much. As I said, the strink-fit cover also for guarding against rubbing seems unnecessary because this whole contraption is fairly rigid and the wind has little effect.

All in all, we are quite pleased with the installation. Now the door stays put and the window over the sink can be opened and we can see out without having the door block the view.

One note that might interest those who would replicate our contraption: be sure that the two fairleads are not the same distance from the hinge point otherwise they would interfere with each other when you open the door completely. The photo showing the rod attached shows the two locations we chose for the fairleads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3136.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	25364   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3138.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	25365  

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 08-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Nice effort Mike!
I'll be in San Diego this weekend....You did such a fine job how about an installation on my AS. This door thing is a bit of a pain. I must say I like this solution. You should forward this idea to Airstream it could be incorporated into the holding clip very easily in future models. It would become officially known as the MYOUNG doodad.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Nice effort Mike!
I'll be in San Diego this weekend....You did such a fine job how about an installation on my AS.
Thanks for the kind words. Sorry to disappoint you but our home in San Rafael is about 500 miles north of San Diego. Just follow 101 north until you get to Lucas Valley Road, go west 3 miles and you will be almost here. Simple directions but a bit of a hike.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Ah... after a bit of searching this is just the thread I was looking for. I'm making one of these "hold-openers" tomorrow. Again, the forum comes through!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Good idea. Unfortunately if you have the beltline molding covering the rivets - and I do - it won't work.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
No, there is no beltline molding on my CCD. It looks like post #31 and should be an easy thing to do.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote