Old 03-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
As it turns out, we had just adjusted the spring bar tension to the next hardest setting prior to this last 1K+ mile trip. First thing, I'll got back to the original softer setting and try that out. Everything you say makes sense to me. We're taking a trip this week so I'll know a little more next week after further observations. Thanks again Andy.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Andy, Once again you have answered my question. I appreciate you taking the time and sharing the knowledge. Thank you.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Wow, Andy, is there anything you don't know???? Thanks for this info. Even though we bought our AS last summer we have not taken it very far from home. This summer we plan on taking two months and driving to Michigan. My top hinge pin was coming up about 1/2 to 1 inch each time we drove the AS more than about 70 miles. Originally, it had 5 year old GYM tires. 2 weeks ago, I went to brand new 16" wheels and BF Goodrich Load range E tires. I thought the pin would stay in since I knew the tires had been balanced by a very good mechanic and friend. It did not. What is interesting is that on our last trip, we did not drain the gray or black water so we had extra weight. The pin stayed in place with the extra weight so I'm thinking, just as you said, we need more "softness". I am at 70 psi right now. What do you think I should lower the psi to so that I have a softer ride but don't damage the tires with a pressure too low. Thanks again for all your help. I have a 2008 27 FB.

Kelly
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hope you get pleasant comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
... 2 weeks ago, I went to ... BF Goodrich Load range E tires. I thought the pin would stay in since I knew the tires had been balanced by a very good mechanic and friend. It did not. ... so I'm thinking, just as you said, we need more "softness". I am at 70 psi right now. What do you think I should lower the psi to so that I have a softer ride but don't damage the tires with a pressure too low.
Load range E tires, especially pumped up to full pressure, are waaaaaaaaaay to much for your 27' Airstream.

Beware - if the real Andy is online & in the mood to comment, he might confirm my observation.

Tom
p.s. 26' Airstream with LR C tires
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I have the problem with the hinge pin working up, but unlike nearly all the other members, my hinge pin worked out while parked in FL for 3 months. This past
season - March, 2012, when the pin got high enough to grab with pliers I pulled it out and using a straw, ran some high strength Loc-Tite into the bottom of the hinge pin socket. The top of the hinge had already been punched to "stake" the pin in place to no avail. I don't suppose I'll know until next winter if this worked. Anyone else have this happen to them????
Dan
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Load range E tires, especially pumped up to full pressure, are waaaaaaaaaay to much for your 27' Airstream.

Beware - if the real Andy is online & in the mood to comment, he might confirm my observation.

Tom
p.s. 26' Airstream with LR C tires
Thanks Tom, any idea what psi I should be running those new tires on?

Kelly
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Wow, Andy, is there anything you don't know???? Thanks for this info. Even though we bought our AS last summer we have not taken it very far from home. This summer we plan on taking two months and driving to Michigan. My top hinge pin was coming up about 1/2 to 1 inch each time we drove the AS more than about 70 miles. Originally, it had 5 year old GYM tires. 2 weeks ago, I went to brand new 16" wheels and BF Goodrich Load range E tires. I thought the pin would stay in since I knew the tires had been balanced by a very good mechanic and friend. It did not. What is interesting is that on our last trip, we did not drain the gray or black water so we had extra weight. The pin stayed in place with the extra weight so I'm thinking, just as you said, we need more "softness". I am at 70 psi right now. What do you think I should lower the psi to so that I have a softer ride but don't damage the tires with a pressure too low. Thanks again for all your help. I have a 2008 27 FB.

Kelly
Basically, the hinge pins gtet loose because of vibration.

The running must be balanced as an assembly, or install Centramatic balancers.

I know you live in the hill country, but why are you bound and determined to destroy your Airstream. Have you thought of using fork lift tires? NOT.

Did your friend balance the tir, wheel and hub and drum as an assembly? If not, then he is not tuned into what destroy's an Airstream trailer.

Get rid if the "E" tires, let alone the 70 PSI.

The heaviest tire you should use would be a "D" tire and then only at about 55 to 60 PSI.

Airstream's not only love a "SOFT" ride, it is a "MUST".

I know Texas highways are great, and all that, but when you get to other states that have roads far worse than the Texas farm to market roads, with the tires and air pressure your now using, the trailer simply will not take it, no if's and's or but's and for that matter, no maybe's either.

You have a fantastic trailer, please help keep it that way. In time, you will appreciate that much more than perhaps you now do.

I use to spend a small part of my life in Comfort, doing the "HAM" radio thing, many many moons ago.

Andy
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Our trailer, bought about four years ago has had the top centre pin popped 4 times with a centre punch buy the previous owner. I assume because it had been riding up.

I don't recall it have centre pop in the middle of the pin as while but it might have. I think it is just popped around the circumference.

In any case, it seems to have done the job - we have made four cross country trips with it so far towing with an HD2500 diesel and E rated tires, and the pin hasn't budged - not yet anyway!

We do have centramatics though, maybe they help.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Basically, the hinge pins gtet loose because of vibration.

The running must be balanced as an assembly, or install Centramatic balancers.

I know you live in the hill country, but why are you bound and determined to destroy your Airstream. Have you thought of using fork lift tires? NOT.

Did your friend balance the tir, wheel and hub and drum as an assembly? If not, then he is not tuned into what destroy's an Airstream trailer.

Get rid if the "E" tires, let alone the 70 PSI.

The heaviest tire you should use would be a "D" tire and then only at about 55 to 60 PSI.

Airstream's not only love a "SOFT" ride, it is a "MUST".

I know Texas highways are great, and all that, but when you get to other states that have roads far worse than the Texas farm to market roads, with the tires and air pressure your now using, the trailer simply will not take it, no if's and's or but's and for that matter, no maybe's either.

You have a fantastic trailer, please help keep it that way. In time, you will appreciate that much more than perhaps you now do.

I use to spend a small part of my life in Comfort, doing the "HAM" radio thing, many many moons ago.

Andy

Ok Andy, I'm sick now----I thought I had done all my homework before I bought these tires. My newbie is really showing now. Yes, the tires were balanced all as one. What tires would you suggest on my new 16" wheels? Maybe I can sell these, only 200 miles on them.

Thanks for your advice.

Kelly
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hinge pin

Greetings Kelly!

Quote:
Ok Andy, I'm sick now----I thought I had done all my homework before I bought these tires. My newbie is really showing now. Yes, the tires were balanced all as one. What tires would you suggest on my new 16" wheels? Maybe I can sell these, only 200 miles on them.

Thanks for your advice.

Kelly
Don't despair just yet. While the load range E tires are heavier than necessary for your coach, you might want to try adjusting the inflation to the load that they are carrying. Michelin offers a inflation by load carried for their tires, and you can find it at this link. While the tires likely won't have as compliant a ride characteristic that a Load Range D properly inflated adjusting your inflation according to weight carried utilzing the chart provided by Michelin may be of benefit.

Good luck with your quandry!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:

Kelly
Our trailer is a 31 foot. I felt that with my GVW I was too close to the top of the rating for class D tires & so, right or wrong, I opted to put on class E tires which I bought from Airstream.

I felt that I would rather have the wheel load well within the range of the tire and not near the top end, and that doing so "might" decrease chances of tire delamination.

I bought the tires at Jackson Centre and I run them about 58-60 psi cold. If I remember correctly that was in accordance with the pressure table from the tire company for the load they are carrying in my situation.

I have a TPMS, and the tires come up maybe 5-7 psi on a long run.

Hopefully they are not causing damage to the trailer - no problems have shown up yet - fingers crossed that things stay that way! I do feel a bit more comfortable riding with the TPMS and higher rated tires but of course still do a complete walkaround of the trailer at every opportunity, rest stops, gas stops etc.

The GVW of my trailer was 8700#, but at a recent visit to Jackson Centre,
AS raised it to 10,000# when they confirmed that my trailer in fact had 5000# axles installed.

Apparently they switched axle sizes at some time during the 2005 production run for the model I have. I suppose there must have been some confusion when mine was being labelled - or possibly the previous owner changed them out for the heavier axles.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote