Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Billings , Montana
Help we need a new key ..are they the same?

are the keys the same as for the exterior access doors? we have a 72 overlander lock works fine but we have no key can a locksmith just make one if we take the whole thing out as sounds like expensive to replace whole thing, also if is same key as for the access doors we could just remove one of those more simply.
Julie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Hi Julie,

Your access doors and the main door will likely have two separate keys. It would be one key for all the access doors and one for the main. Many locksmiths will come to you rather than removing the entire handle - might be a lot less hassle. Good luck.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
do a search for "key blank lock". it seems many trailers are keyed the same. i hope this helps :-)
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ours has to be the only Airstream I have seen that has every lock keyed different. If you want to remove the lock, open the underbed access area, and remove the nut holding the latch on the lock. The access door should then be flopping in the breeze. Take the door to a locksmith, and have him make a key for it. If you are luckier than me, the one key will fit every lock except the main door, and potable water locks.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
keys

hi- you also might try calling Oasis RV in Tucson, they were able to send me the correct key for the water access door on my '72 OL and it's possible that the other keys are standard too. Good luck!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
It will cost slightly more but..you should consider calling A/S for the key. All front entry door key are unique to your unit. You will need the serial number and whatever numbers you can get off the entry door lock itself. The side access panels are different but, the same for all yr A/S made. (SOB as well fit this description) Keep that in mind when considering storing any valuables~!!
ciao
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Billings , Montana
thanks to all of you for replies... it will be nice to not have to go in the trunk to unlock front door ... but then we put that picture a friend took (us exiting trunk) in this months photo contest ha... but this can get real old really fast. i am realizing that this won't be a place to keep any valuables .. sounds like lock not so secure anyway... but gives a sense of security even if a false sense.
Julie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie R
thanks to all of you for replies... it will be nice to not have to go in the trunk to unlock front door ... but then we put that picture a friend took (us exiting trunk) in this months photo contest ha... but this can get real old really fast. i am realizing that this won't be a place to keep any valuables .. sounds like lock not so secure anyway... but gives a sense of security even if a false sense.
Locks keep honest people honest, and slow down dishonest people. If the door is locked the crook may go down the road and find one that is unlocked. August photo contest, huh? I'll have to check it out...