Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Help, I can't unlock my door, Any ideas?

Hello all,

I've replaced the weather stripping on my door jam of my '59 TW yesterday and that went great. I've been in and out several times and locked it last night. When I got home today I unlocked it, checked out the weather stripping, and locked it again. When back out just now and the key goes into the lock but I can not even begin to turn the key. I used weather stripping from VTS and it cleared the door latch with no problem so I don't it is part of the problem. I think it's a problem with the lock itself. Any ideas on unlocking it? If all else fails can the pins be taken out and the door removed easily.

Thanks in Advance,
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rod, you may have to get in through a window to unlock the door. Does the key turn at all? If not (and I know this is a stupid question), are you sure it's the right key? If you're sure it's the right key, put a little graphite on the teeth of the key, insert it, and try turning it while leaning against the door.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
I have 2 keys and tried them both a few times, so hopefully I picked the right ones, I'll double check that.

Like the graphite idea and I'll try it tomorrow.

I closed and latched all the windows because of an incoming storm so that is why I'm wordering about taking the pins out of the hinges and pulling the door off.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Maybe someone is inside

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Maybe someone is inside
Yeah, did you knock? Maybe they'll open the door...
Old 10-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
OK guys, it's dark outside and not to many days to Halloween. I know I should have bid on the porch light that was on e-bay a few weeks ago.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
I just double checked my keys, got the graphite and braved the dark, no luck.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
It'll work better in the warm sunshine tomorrow afternoon.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello rschulz

I sent a PM to you ,see if that helps .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Maybe you can tap the hinge pins out and then try to pry open that door that way.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Lock jam

I had same thing happen on the '66's Bargman lock. Solution was easy (for me.) Turn the key to the unlocked position, then push forceably in on the door knob as you turn it. My problem was the extra force applied outward by the new seals. Hope this works for you too.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
The lock will not turn either way, not even a little bit. That is why I'm thinking a mechanical problem. I have tried pushing in on the door and turning the key with no success.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschulz
The lock will not turn either way, not even a little bit. That is why I'm thinking a mechanical problem. I have tried pushing in on the door and turning the key with no success.
How about a locksmith? Maybe the lock can be picked by a professional?

At one of our rallies last year, someone locked themselves out of their trailer. Luckily we had an ex-green beret at our rally who picked the lock in about five seconds.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I had good luck just before the Lake San Antonio Rally with a bent pick type tool from Snap On.

I was able to insert the tool flat between the skin and the door, where the bolt is.
Then, I turned the pick so it would wedge against the bolt and gradually pushed back wards, pushing back the bolt while pushing in against the seal, and then releasing the door before letting go of the angled pick, therefore keeping the bolt in a partially retracted position.
Eventually, I was able to move the bolt in far enough for the door to spring open, and I was able to remove the lock mechanism and repair it.
It's kind of hard to write down, and takes some coordination when pushing back the bolt and pushing in the door, but it worked splendidly, and without any damalge to door, lock, or bolt.
If your bolt locks in place with the door locked, then this will not work. My handle does not turn when locked, but the bolt can be moved.
Geez, so much easier to do than explain..
Old 10-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
I had the same thing happen on my 64. Just put new weather striping on...key went in wouldn't turn.

I tapped out the door hinge pins, removed the entire door, disassembled the lock from inside.

The springs in the lock cylinder that push against the tumblers were smashed and bent. I bought a new house door lock and switched out the tumbler springs. Works like new lock.

I also drilled the hinges and pins, inserted and bent cotter pins to make it MUCH harder for someone to remove the door.

It was -10F at the time.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #16
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Yep, take the door off. It literally takes 60 seconds. I've had mine off and and on a million times trying to re-shape it.

I did not have the problem you're experiencing after replaing my weatherstripping.

I did remove my door lock to replace the lock cylinder and clean and lube the insides. If you do take it all apart do it on a clean bench so you can save all the parts that pop off ;-) There are two little bearings that seem to jump out.

There is also a spring that holds the handle down when not being used. It is proably rusted and broken. It's possible it could have gotten into something and jaming the lock. If you have not replaced the cylinder yet, might be a good time while your rebuilding it. VTS has them, as I'm sure you know.

I need a source for that spring in the L77 if anyone has a lead.

Good luck getting your lock reliable. To me that's very important as its your home when away from home!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #17

1986 31' Sovereign
Littlefield , Texas
Just bought our 86 Soverign. Took it on a trip and on the way home, tried to open door and handle broke. Was able to open door with screwdriver the rest of the way home (happened on weekend and parts was not open at dealerships) but now that we are home, cannot get door open. Any suggestions on how to get insider trailer?
Novel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:05 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novel1959
Just bought our 86 Soverign. Took it on a trip and on the way home, tried to open door and handle broke. Was able to open door with screwdriver the rest of the way home (happened on weekend and parts was not open at dealerships) but now that we are home, cannot get door open. Any suggestions on how to get insider trailer?
Go back out on another trip! lol:

Maybe you have your trailer parked where the door is in a slight bind?
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschulz
Hello all,

I've replaced the weather stripping on my door jam of my '59 TW yesterday and that went great. I've been in and out several times and locked it last night. When I got home today I unlocked it, checked out the weather stripping, and locked it again. When back out just now and the key goes into the lock but I can not even begin to turn the key. I used weather stripping from VTS and it cleared the door latch with no problem so I don't it is part of the problem. I think it's a problem with the lock itself. Any ideas on unlocking it? If all else fails can the pins be taken out and the door removed easily.
If you have a wide (maybe 2" or more) wood chisel, so that it won't bend the door jamb or door edge, you might try inserting it between the door and the jamb right above or below the lock bolt, and then try prying the two apart. It is possible that one or the other side, maybe both, will flex enough for the door to pop open. Just go very slow and carefully. You can tell if damage is emminent before the door comes open if it is going to.
The pins can, in fact, be knocked out. Some of the hinges must be drilled first, and then the pins knocked out. They will most likely be stuck from electrolysis, but a big enough hammer and determination will budge them.

If it were mine, I would try 30 minutes or more of key wiggling, push/pulling on the door all in concert with handle shaking. Perserverance pays much dividends. The next would be the prying method. The last would be the pin knock out.
Good luck.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #20
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
This happened to me last spring. There was a pin in the lock that broke. I got in by taking the hinge out of the door, the promptly fixed the lock.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote