Old 11-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Exclamation Help - Broken Door lock

We are currently in Memphis but will be travelling South to New Orleans tomorrow. Our door will not lock and even pops open while we are travelling. Any idea where we might get assistance with repairs? We will be in the New Orleans area until Dec 12th.

Ldytraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lots of folks with vintage units use a modified wedge that goes under the outside handle with the pointed end going well over the edge of the door - to hold the door closed while underway. It actually looks a little like the letter "B" with the top loop being much smaller and the indentation between the loops being where the handle rests - thus locking it in place. I'll edit this and put in a link with a picture if I can find one.

see post 18 - there are many variation similar to this one. But it will surely hold the door closed until you can replace the lock. BTW one mod I'd do would be to have a piece of heavy twine or rope going through a hole drilled in the big end of this "lock" - and have it tied around the handle so that the gizmo couldn't get lost.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Locking and poping open should be 2 different functions and I have had both fail.

The spring for key operated dead bolt broke and I made a new one from a hack saw blade. A simple fix.

The latch on the traditional door set broke off. The door latch for you vintage, and mine, is not available and I was advised to buy a set that required cutting the door and riveting on a 12 x 12 plate containing the new set. Not wanting that I had to re-weld the latch after some modifications, for clearance, to the lock body.

The first picture shows the tongue that broke off the latch set. The second shows the latch set and the green tie pointing to the point that failed. the third shows the access holes I had to cut into the interior wall to get access to the bead bolt. Those holes are now covered with 2x4 white plastic electrical covers.

When I welded the tongue back to the slide plate I had to grind some off the cover plate to allow the eld to travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0848.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	253126   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0896.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	253127  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0897.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	253128  
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote