Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
hard to shut door

Can anyone help ? Our friend just bought a new Safari 07 and the entry door( rear entry model) is very hard to close...we had the same problem to a lesser degree in our 05 Safari ...has anyone had the same problem and found a cure ?
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Make sure the trailer is level and the stabilizers are in place...sometimes the torque created by not being level can cause door-closing problems...and use the stabilizers (not to level, but to keep it stable)...they will help keep it level as you move around inside.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Have you try lubricating the latch? If not spray a little white lithium grease on the latch assembly located inside the edge of the door. I do this once or twice a year, or when the door gets hard to close.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Door

I had this problem with my 06 Safari rear door and Denver at Roger Williams Airstream adjusted it for me. 800-378-5883

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Our entry door is also hard to close in that we have to slam it shut or from inside, pull it shut pretty hard, does anyone know what causes this or how to fix this?
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
Our entry door is also hard to close in that we have to slam it shut or from inside, pull it shut pretty hard, does anyone know what causes this or how to fix this?
The usual fix is to spray some silicone spray on the striker pocket and the striker bolt.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thanks Andy - I appreciate your help!! On a side note, I was looking through the owners manual on our 1991 Excella which we bought from a great couple in AZ last year, there is a receipt for work done at Inland RV along with your card. Glad you are such an active participant on this site, wish you guys were here in Salt Lake City, UT.

Regards,
Matt
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Have the same problem. Think it is caused by the way the screen door is bent - or maybe I should say over bent. I've tried spraying the latch, hinges etc but it did no good.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
Thanks Andy - I appreciate your help!! On a side note, I was looking through the owners manual on our 1991 Excella which we bought from a great couple in AZ last year, there is a receipt for work done at Inland RV along with your card. Glad you are such an active participant on this site, wish you guys were here in Salt Lake City, UT.

Regards,
Matt
Matt.

There are a very few Airstream service centers that can do it all.

We happen to be one of them.

Owners do bring us their Airstream or Argosy from as far away as new York state.

When your here, you can visit Disney, etc.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I had the same problem with my 01'. If you watch the belt line or some visible stripe and see if its necessary for the door to lift a bit to latch. I found that my upper hinge was a bit loose. There is a small piece of moulding that covers the screw. Once i closed the door and aligned the striker to be in the proper position i then tightened the hinge screw. After lubing the door it closes with almost no effort and all the seams and lines are perfect. It was to the point before when pulling the door closed from the inside i thought i was going to brake the chrome handle which seems weak to begin with. Check it out and you might find that the door is actually sagging a bit and you will see then why its hard to close.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I have found out that the screen door needs to be clipped to the door to close better. Also a firm close is better than a slam.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We had the same problem with our 06 International. If you're a bit squeamish, do not read further. For those of a stronger heart:
First, look at the door from the inside and see if the round bolt is exactly between the two latch "gripping claws" (not sure of the correct technical term, but you'll see what I mean). If not, ascertain which way and how far it needs to go. Now, here's the good part: take a very short piece of 2 x 4, hold it either above or below the bolt (depending on which way you need to move it); take a large hammer and strike the 2 x 4 until the alignment is correct. This will take a pretty good "whack" to get it to move but it will go.

This is what happens to your baby when they take it around back out of your sight for an adjustment. So, if you're not up to the task, take it to your dealer and they'll do it for you.

I hope this helps.
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Cure Found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoysrvin View Post
Can anyone help ? Our friend just bought a new Safari 07 and the entry door( rear entry model) is very hard to close...we had the same problem to a lesser degree in our 05 Safari ...has anyone had the same problem and found a cure ?
Hi, go to "2008 model year quality...." page 11, post #148. There I posted a pretty detailed way to properly adjust your door to close like it should, but didn't, from the factory.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
All my towing is in the winter. Salt and Mag Chloride coat the streamer. I noticed as the miles went by the harder it got to close and open the door. WD 40 is my miracle fluid, and a recent soaking in every opening on the door made it just like new. It did however leave lots of left over that needed wiping off, but it did the trick. Perfect for those of us that are not inclined to use any tools. I also use white spray on lithium grease on hitch parts but a bear to clean off when it gets on clothes.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
I love finding information like this in older posts. Thank you all for the advice. Now I won't be afraid to go ahead and lube the door on our 2008 23D International.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I have 2007 safari, the entrance door is hard to close and looks like it has sagged and hitting the lower door frame.
Any suggestions.
I read an article in recent Airstream News Letter about Andy
All his devotion and dedication at this young age is amazing
Keep up the good work

"What you are never changes while who you are should never stop"
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote