Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
GJP
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Wichita , Kansas
Grab bar by door

We are the proud new owners of a 65 Caravel, and are starting the process of getting her back into shape. She is missing the grab bar by the entrance door, and wondering if anybody could tell us where to find this dude? Is the same grab bar common to other A/S's of this vintage? Evidently the PO had a close brush w/ something- the heater vent had the snot bent out of it too. I can beat that back into shape, but the grab bar is MIA.
GJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJP View Post
We are the proud new owners of a 65 Caravel, and are starting the process of getting her back into shape. She is missing the grab bar by the entrance door, and wondering if anybody could tell us where to find this dude? Is the same grab bar common to other A/S's of this vintage? Evidently the PO had a close brush w/ something- the heater vent had the snot bent out of it too. I can beat that back into shape, but the grab bar is MIA.
The current grab bar, from Airstream, is the same as the one that was on your coach.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
My grab handle was missing, too. I bought mine (used) from Singleton's trailer junk yard and have since seen them occasionally on eBAy. For me the key was to measure the hole spacing on the trailer (something like 10 "), find a picture and start looking. Just getting a replacement is half the battle. Next you have to install it. Mine had screws and washers attaching from inside the skin. I had the inside walls out to do subfloor replacement so it wasn't that big a problem. You might get away with removing the narrow patch of inside wall skin to access the handle screws. a dozen pop rivets or so involved. We love the grab handle, it's very useful. The coach doesn't look right without it either.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
GJP-

Welcome to the forums!

Hopefully you know that the '65 Caravel has a "suicide door" that can open if not deadbolted. There is a doohickey that will help if you don't have a deadbolt installed. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...sed-19369.html

The other thing to be careful of with the Caravels is the old axles. There are some sad stories about axle failures.

The search function in this forum will be very helpful.

BTW - great choice in trailers. They're a great balance between size and usable layout.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I have two of them, used but usable!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
GJP
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks for all the help! airforums is so cool! Yeah, I know about the suicide door thing- ours was a classic sprung door case-made the wood jigs to the correct curve, cut the cast frame to relieve spring, new inside and outside skin. Since I am starting new, am thinking of doing away w/ extra long backset on doorknob and deadbolt....and I'm gonna use the Doohickey too!! Also have the sagging axle and a new one is on the way....since there is no rot, and no leaks that I can find (a miracle!) I don't think I'll have much work there. 110 and 12V all seems to work, I am pondering updating the Univolt, and breakers for microwave,AC, etc....
GJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think that many of the Caravels are missing the grab handle. If you install an awning, the handle would be in the way of the arms. The first rib on the Caravel is where you would mount the forward arm and it is right next to the door.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote