Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 77
Full acccess door hinge?

We’d like to put a small microwave on the top shelf of the wardrobe of a 2018 FC25FB. That would let us keep the gas oven AND have a microwave...crazy I know.

The little microwave AS uses in the pullout pantry of some of the larger models and that they use in the Basecamp looks like it will fit IF we can find a way for that wardrobe door to open fully so that the full 12.5”of the frame is exposed for a pullout. Currently, a pullout would run into the door edge. Also, I’ll need to remount the hinges on the right rather than the left with a minimum of fuss.

Any hinge suggestions?
__________________

__________________
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Sphere Guy's Avatar
 
2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 570
How about a piano hinge?
__________________

__________________
Sphere Guy
AIR 50601
Sphere Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
How about a piano hinge?
I thought about that but wanted to avoid the hinge being visible when the door is closed. I found these, made for kitchen cabinets with pull outs. Has anyone tried to do anything similar?
__________________
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
.-. -...
 
Adventure.AS's Avatar

 
2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I thought about that but wanted to avoid the hinge being visible when the door is closed. I found these, made for kitchen cabinets with pull outs. Has anyone tried to do anything similar?
It looks like the door would open wider, but the hinge would still be in the way so the microwave couldn't get past them.
__________________
Ray B.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
It looks like the door would open wider, but the hinge would still be in the way so the microwave couldn't get past them.
Yes, I was hoping to mount the hinges where the microwave isn’t ... higher and lower.
__________________
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Portage to Caravan's Avatar
 
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 24
Euro. style hinges

Assuming your trailer has Euopean style hinges just like mine, I would start by saying the easiest way to turn a left hand hinged door into a right hand is remove the hinges from the cabinet, flip the door over and replace with these. 170° Euo. style from Lee Valley tools, made by Bloome. The hinges posted previously are surface mount. If yours are like mine, the door half is inserted into a 35 mm hole cut in the back side of the door. Mount the hinges in the existing holes and have an assitant hold the door in place while you remount the hinge to the cabinet. Follow the provided instructions for locating the offset from the face of the cabinet. These are very forgiving hinges in that they can be adjusted up and down, in and out. It's as easy as it sounds. You then need to balance the location of your micro wave to aligne with the space between hinges.

If my photo doesn't show up; Lee Valleys' order number is 00B15.72
Be sure to order half overlay.
__________________
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
Portage to Caravan's Avatar
 
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 24
Euro. style hinges

Try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	302671  
__________________
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
SophieHaus
 
Sophiehaus's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Cave Creek , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
We’d like to put a small microwave on the top shelf of the wardrobe of a 2018 FC25FB. That would let us keep the gas oven AND have a microwave...crazy I know.

The little microwave AS uses in the pullout pantry of some of the larger models and that they use in the Basecamp looks like it will fit IF we can find a way for that wardrobe door to open fully so that the full 12.5”of the frame is exposed for a pullout. Currently, a pullout would run into the door edge. Also, I’ll need to remount the hinges on the right rather than the left with a minimum of fuss.

Any hinge suggestions?
Unfortunately I am of no help. But being able to have a full-sized microwave and a gas oven is a reason I went with the 25 RB. Even the 27 and 28 footers don't have both. They have a tiny microwave that pulls out and blocks the hallway. Good luck with your project.
__________________
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:31 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage to Caravan View Post
Assuming your trailer has Euopean style hinges just like mine, I would start by saying the easiest way to turn a left hand hinged door into a right hand is remove the hinges from the cabinet, flip the door over and replace with these. 170° Euo. style from Lee Valley tools, made by Bloome. The hinges posted previously are surface mount. If yours are like mine, the door half is inserted into a 35 mm hole cut in the back side of the door. Mount the hinges in the existing holes and have an assitant hold the door in place while you remount the hinge to the cabinet. Follow the provided instructions for locating the offset from the face of the cabinet. These are very forgiving hinges in that they can be adjusted up and down, in and out. It's as easy as it sounds. You then need to balance the location of your micro wave to aligne with the space between hinges.

If my photo doesn't show up; Lee Valleys' order number is 00B15.72
Be sure to order half overlay.
Those hinges are great! Thanks so much. I wasn’t crazy about having that hole in my door from the old hinges. Your hinges solve that I think.

This project should allow us to have a small microwave, good enough for defrosting, in a FB25. I’ll post pictures when I get it done around May.
__________________
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 92
The hinge you showed might work if, as it appears, the door is extended laterally as it opens.

The one I tried didn't, a 180 degree Blum, I think. The problem was that the door on our closet is flush with the panels around it and the hinges wouldn't accommodate that. They forced the door into contact before it was open.
__________________
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
Portage to Caravan's Avatar
 
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
The hinge you showed might work if, as it appears, the door is extended laterally as it opens.

The one I tried didn't, a 180 degree Blum, I think. The problem was that the door on our closet is flush with the panels around it and the hinges wouldn't accommodate that. They forced the door into contact before it was open.
Which is the reason you need to consider the "overlay" of the hinge. Full, half or inset; meaning the door covers the face by 3/4", 3/8" or the door fits into the cabinet. There are other hinges yet that would be used in a "face frame" cabinet. The cabinetry Airstream uses does not add in the extra element of a frame at the front edge, the cabinet walls are simply edge trimed.
So maybe I spoke too soon about using the half overlay hinges. Be sure first off, before disassembly, what amount of overlay is needed.
__________________

__________________
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Door in a door" hinge goshawks00 Doors & Locks 1 12-06-2016 05:00 PM
Looking for a door hinge for my 1950 Liner. Possibly a whole door. Thanks ! Gocamp2 Doors & Locks 0 05-31-2016 05:42 AM
Parked with full hookups and full water tank question badkat Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures 16 10-18-2013 10:32 PM
Why did Airstream change from front hinge doors to suicide hinge doors? arcamedies Airstream History 28 08-20-2010 12:39 PM
fuel gauge showing full when it is not full Normin storm Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 2 08-25-2009 10:31 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.