Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Question Fickle Outside Door

Depending on which way my trailer is leaning/listing (looking at it from the rear end, Port or Starboard) my door cooperates more or less. When the starboard side was higher (listing to port) I could let the door go at about a 90 degree angle and it would close and latch by itself, no slamming involved. With the port side higher (listing to starboard) the 90 degree "self close" obviously no longer works. So I close the door as close to being closed as possible and then with the palm of my hand give it one short strong push and she latches and secures nicely, no door slamming involved. Ok that's closing the door once you decide to leave the trailer. When I'm in the trailer and I want to close the door behind me I've tried 1) a "short pull" (door almost closed, just not latched closed) with a good amount of pulling power, 2) a "short inside the trailer slam" to close the door. They both work about 50% of the time. When the trailer was listing to port previously closing the door from the inside was no big deal just like letting it close itself was no big deal. Are these trailers that fickle or am I doing something wrong?

P.S. One day I hope to park on a nice level surface to see if the door works with no listing at all.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi S1,

I think you will find most owners have issues with the door closing and opening depending on the trailer position.

It appears to be a normal issue as the trailer flexes depending upon its relative position to the earth.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Hi S1,

I think you will find most owners have issues with the door closing and opening depending on the trailer position.

It appears to be a normal issue as the trailer flexes depending upon its relative position to the earth.

Michael
Ok. Sounds like I am in good company then.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Check your screen door. Mine was over curved and made closing the outside door difficult. I straightened a little and the door works much better now.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote