Old 12-09-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Entry Door Questions

Hi,

I have a 1978 31 Land Yacht. The entry door was sprung on the unit when we bought it. My wife and I were able to get the door it back into better shape, but it is still unsatisfactory. It appears that the previous owner put an aftermarket door latch on the unit and carved the door up a bit attempting to do so. Would it be advisable to replace the shell on the doorframe and add a stock replacement handle or just attempt to find a new door for the unit? If so, where might I obtain the skin? If door replacement is elected, is it even possible to procure a replacement door for this unit? What model years and unit sizes would have the same doorframe as a 78 31 International Land Yacht? Also, Where might I find a replacement door seal? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Slade Weaver, Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Skin is easy, either an Airstream donor, or do a search on skin replacement to find where members have sourced new aluminum. Since it is primarily flat all you need is the right type and thickness.

A door from 70-82 will work, but the locks may be different. If you can find a complete door in a bone yard then you are in heaven. You might even find one with a window in the door if that is your cup of tea. It does not matter the model in the date range, the door is the same unless it was a custom order coach thru the commercial division. Check with www.Colawrvsalvage.com for a door. You may have to call a few times, but it is an 800 #.

Door seal is not a problem. Either Ace Fogdall or Inland RV will have it. You need to plan on spending some time cleaning off the old glue, or use a dremel with a flapper wheel. it will give you a nice clean grippy surface to place the glue on. It may take 2 wheels to do the whole door.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Colaws had a '79 (I think) a month or two ago. It had a good door, if I recall.

Mark
Old 12-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Folks,

Thanks for the prompt responses. I called Colaw's and they do have a door that will fit. Thanks Again...

sw
Old 12-10-2003, 08:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Question more door questions

To the "new Kid 64":
Your info is great news. But how did you come by it?
I can see a whale of a shipping and buying expense if you are wrong.
Which years had door window?

To "Sladew":
What BTW is the going price for a used door?

What are you planning to do with your damaged door? Do not discard it! Please.

thanks,
S&V
Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Sue and Von,

The shell change in 69 was the last change up until 83 when the wrap around windows came out. Since 69 was a change over year I would not be sure on the door. The front windows in 69 were different too. The only difference in the doors through the period mentioned is the hinge style. by 76 the hinge was a 2 piece affair that stayed unchanged for many years.

I would verify with colaw's before shipping, just in case I am wrong, but if you are within a year or 2 and not 69-73 you should have a 2 hinge door.

The window in the door was an option starting in 78. Usually on an Excella model.

As to the depth of my knowledge, I am a junkie when it comes to this era of Airstreams. I have now owned 4 units made in the 70's and have loved everyone of them. I spend way too much time on the web, study pictures of different models and am always trying to identify year/model as I drive. I am really really sick
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 12-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I am really really sick
As his "Airstream Widow" I can attest that this is VERY true.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Edie G

As his "Airstream Widow" I can attest that this is VERY true.
He isn't the only one I get hollered at at least once a night

Aaron
Old 12-10-2003, 08:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Really Off Topic

I told Brett that I feel like a roman woman of old. It seems like every night he's busy heading off to the forum.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina

Aaron
Old 12-11-2003, 09:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Thanks "NewKid64" aka Brett, I have added you to my asset list of folks I have confidence in regarding various Airstream subject fields of expertise.
I put you down under exterior body styles, entry doors, front windows, & 1970 era.
Would you add or delete any fields?

Now about the hinge placement on entry doors.
Is there no deviation on the double hinge doors at all?

S&V
Old 12-11-2003, 09:27 AM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Expert, what flattery!

The hinges in the 2 hinge configuration are cast pieces that are designed to fit at a specific point in the curvature of the shell. Unless there was a change in the design of the hinges they should all be the same. Even the Classic Motor Homes use the same hinges, we just have to use the trailer bottom as the top and top as the bottom since our doors swing toward the front.

Knowing this I would say that the chance of deviation would be small. If you can get the door with the hinges then you can decide what you want to do if there is a difference. New holes in the hood frame, or door jamb.

One other thing to mention is that the door may still have to be formed (read as bent) to fit. All doors may not have exactly the same curvature and this curve may need to be adjusted to match the trailer you install it on. This may be as simple as flexing the door, or it may require the removal of interior skins on the door and re-riveting them once you get it to the "right" curve.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 12-11-2003, 09:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
by thenewkid64

One other thing to mention is that the door may still have to be formed (read as bent) to fit. All doors may not have exactly the same curvature and this curve may need to be adjusted to match the trailer you install it on. This may be as simple as flexing the door, or it may require the removal of interior skins on the door and re-riveting them once you get it to the "right" curve.
Brett it's that "one other thing" that worries me.
Are you stating that the curvature of Airstreams changed from year to year or model to model within the '69/'70 to '83 inclusive era?
Surely the factory did not order different jamb frame and inner door frames during a model year do you think?
Nor would common manufacturing sense have had the assemblers custom bending door shapes to various trailers coming down the line????
i.e. it would seem a foolish step to customize each door to some non-controllable body curvature. Should just standardize the shell dont you think.

If you are right then it would be just random blind luck to buy a new or used door and it fit without the major skin removal and inner frame bending proceedure. I hope I am missing something here. Help!

Von
Old 12-11-2003, 10:24 AM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
All I am saying is that the door "May Not" be an exact fit. All of the years of opening and closing as well as traveling down the road make the trailer and door flex. When you bolt the new to you door in place I would bet there is a 25% chance it will need to be adjusted or formed.

The frame shape and curve "should" be the same in the year range I mentioned based on shell design. I just want to make you aware that adjustment may be required.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49