Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Arrow Entry door knob/latch options for 50's trailer

I am now turning to the issue of entry door on my 53 Flying Cloud. I have started a new thread on the forums to hopefully draw more people than just the people reading my restoration thread.

In the pictures below, you can see the original knob and lock that the trailer came with. The door within a door had to be trimmed to fit this setup. My door's current lock specifications are 1.5" thick, 2 1/8" back set, and 2 3/8" escutcheon. The two locks that VTS sells work for my door thickness and the escutcheon size, but the back set is required to be 2 3/8" or 2 3/4".

The metal piece that the door knob and deadbolt are attached to will be replaced due to the door opening in transit sometime in its' lifetime, and is damaged along with the door frame. It is conceivable that I could move my back set to the required 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" back set, but that would push me further into the door within a door. Anyone have ideas other than using one of the two vintage knobs? What about using on of the 60's knob sets?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I am now turning to the issue of entry door on my 53 Flying Cloud. I have started a new thread on the forums to hopefully draw more people than just the people reading my restoration thread.

In the pictures below, you can see the original knob and lock that the trailer came with. The door within a door had to be trimmed to fit this setup. My door's current lock specifications are 1.5" thick, 2 1/8" back set, and 2 3/8" escutcheon. The two locks that VTS sells work for my door thickness and the escutcheon size, but the back set is required to be 2 3/8" or 2 3/4".

The metal piece that the door knob and deadbolt are attached to will be replaced due to the door opening in transit sometime in its' lifetime, and is damaged along with the door frame. It is conceivable that I could move my back set to the required 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" back set, but that would push me further into the door within a door. Anyone have ideas other than using one of the two vintage knobs? What about using on of the 60's knob sets?
Steve.

Since your going to replace the metal. use a Bargman L-100 lock.

Also, and along with others that have or are serving our country, please have a happy and joyful "V" day.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Gotta ask... what's with the fork?

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Steve,

I believe that there was a question about the latch on the door in a door. My Liner has sliding bolts holding the doors together. They appear to be original.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The fork is in place of the original missing latch.

Bill, I am adding sliding bolts on my door within a door when I rebuild it later this month.

I am still looking for ideas other than Andy's L-100 suggestion.

Steve
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Steve,

I believe that there was a question about the latch on the door in a door. My Liner has sliding bolts holding the doors together. They appear to be original.

Bill
Some doors within a door was held in place with a sliding latch, but most of them were held with the same latch that was used on the old windows.

That part is still available, along with the sliding latch.

Soldiermedic, the L-100 regular lock was used in later models, and is still common and reasonable.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Steve,

What would you like to find - a 2" backset? A passage set or did the original have a locking set in addition to the deadbolt? The door in door wasn't originally routed out like that was it - I can't find a clear pic. on Vintage Airstream.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Gary,

I need a stainless or chrome with backset of 2 1/8 to fit my current size. I could go to a 2 inch backset though with replacing the metal. Know ye of such a knob?

Steve
Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Yes good sir I may - thanks to my munchkin who works for a door design/build company. They went looking for 2" to keep it away from the inner door - very hard to find apparently....

Of possible interest:

2 Inch Backset Locks With Free Shipping

2 Inch Backset Door Locks

Then the designer in her kicked in:

Storm door handle 1-1/2 inch Backset - Satin Chrome All About Doors and Windows, Parts and Hardware

Not sure these will help but worth letting you see.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1953, door knob, entry door, entry lock, vintage