Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Entry Door Frames Cast vs Extruded

I have read Inland Andy comments various threads about repairing "sprung doors", "bent door frames" etc.
He mentions that the repairable ones are the extruded frame models.

Is there a definitive list of what years used extruded vs cast?

I guess you can tell which you have by just looking at the area surrounding and under the weatherstrip ? Right ?
In the unfortunate circumstance of owning one of the cast ones, is there any hope? Of straightening it?

Also, Andy you have sold me on the need to drill new rivet holes so the skins can get a new "grip" to hold the "repaired" extrusion frame.
Are you meaning drill new holes in the frame (thru the existing skin holes) or new holes in the skin trying to hit the old existing frame holes. Or just new holes in both?

thanks
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer
I have read Inland Andy comments various threads about repairing "sprung doors", "bent door frames" etc.

I guess you can tell which you have by just looking at the area surrounding and under the weatherstrip ? Right ?
In the unfortunate circumstance of owning one of the cast ones, is there any hope? Of straightening it?

Also, Andy you have sold me on the need to drill new rivet holes so the skins can get a new "grip" to hold the "repaired" extrusion frame.
Are you meaning drill new holes in the frame (thru the existing skin holes) or new holes in the skin trying to hit the old existing frame holes. Or just new holes in both?

thanks
I will be glad to help you with the answers, but you will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

I have guests for the next 3 or4 hours.

In the mean time, have a good nights rest.

Both doors can be fixed, but with very different methods.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer

thanks
Cast door frames were used from 1965 to mid to late 1972 trailers.

The cast frame usually becomes bent because the main door flew open against the side of the trailer. That's another story in itsef as to why that happens, which can be totally avoided.

The cast frame, cannot be intentionally bent back into shape, without the huge risk of snapping the casting in half.

Other than those years, the door frame and door jambs were made from extrusions.

Whch door frame do you have?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Based on the years you stated mine is extruded (1974). Thankfully.

I will do another search for your instructions on straightening these while leaving the door on its hinges and not having to remove it from trailer.

Will I need kleekos to stretch (pin) the skin back on prior to riveting?
and how will I keep the "new shape" til I rivet?
I assume that with skins removed the frame will easily be forced back into outer frame, (which is where it is intended to mate correctly). But how do you suggest I keep it snug there until I can rivet the inside skin back on.
Will I need 2 helpers pushing it in from outside?

thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Hangin'

Hey Andy - we're hangin' on the answer here. Distantdrummer asked some great nitty-gritty questions...George
Old 04-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Also Andy do we need to remove the weatherstripping before we force the naked frame back in and rivet it?

thanks again.
I hope you see this thread again.

Oh and geo-zink thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Drummer,

If we had some clue where in the world you are located, maybe someone with a spare extruded door might offer to drop it off (no, this isn't a hypothetical). You don't need to offer up a Lat-Lon accurate enough for a GPS guided bomb, but maybe what corner of what state would be helpful.

You can "fix" this in your personal settings under PROFILE so it shows up with your avatar.

Zep