Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Carrolton , Georgia
I have a two month old 2017 27 Flying Cloud. We’re camping and the last two mornings the temp has dropped into the mid 30’s. Both mornings, after exiting the AS, I was unable to close the door. It seems to be touching first at the top left corner looking at it from the outside. Later in the day it closes normally. Any ideas?
Ken Blitchington
Kblitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #42

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblitch View Post
I have a two month old 2017 27 Flying Cloud. We’re camping and the last two mornings the temp has dropped into the mid 30’s. Both mornings, after exiting the AS, I was unable to close the door. It seems to be touching first at the top left corner looking at it from the outside. Later in the day it closes normally. Any ideas?
Ken Blitchington
I wouldn't rule out temperature being the main culprit, but it may only be part of the equation. Do you have one of your stabilizers cranked down harder than the rest? I've seen people try to use the stabilizers for leveling and tweak the trailer enough to affect door operation.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
I have a 2017 Flying Cloud and am also out camping. While I have always been able to close the door, many times it takes several tries.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:09 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Carrolton , Georgia
New AS door won’t close when cold

Door wouldn’t close last night when it got cold. Friend stopped by to pick us up. He took a look and determined that claws were contacting the end of the striker bar where it is larger. Used a wrench to unscrew it just enough to allow the claws to grip the smaller diameter. Door is on right rear so perhaps the cold is contracting the trailer with door forward?
Kblitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Fixed! New AS door wouldn't shut

Thanks to the contributors to this thread! I added a washer under the striker bolt/pin and fixed our new unit.
After showing the trailer off last night, I couldn't get the door to shut. Apparently, cold is a factor; 6 deg f...
Works better today than the day we picked it up!
PS: The door latch 'grippers' had left marks on the hexagonal hex head of the bolt/pin.. a dead giveaway.
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #46

2003 30' Classic
Austin , TX
Found a quick fix for my 03 Classic.

Same exact symptoms: wouldn't latch closed, locking bolt wouldn't work as door was too far ajar, no warping, alignment was ok.

There's a faux deadbolt (bottom right, inside) that was zip tied shut.

SOLUTION: Cut the zip tie, lock it. Unlock it.

The door closes/latches again!!

Worried that I'll get locked out by this pesky faux deadbolt. Don't have a spare zip tie around...so I'm using blue painters tape. Bolt to screw next to it are bound together by the tape for now.
AirCar is offline   Reply With Quote