Old 05-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Steve, I will try. I'm pretty sure our entrance door seal fits a little loose near the bottom leading edge. I've never seen water come in, and if it did it is kept out of the interior by the ledge around the door frame. The door closes so easily as it is, I won't mess with it.

What if you went out there when it's raining cats and dogs, open the vents and turn both fans to high. Close bath and shower vents, access hatches and windows. Put drain stops in the shower and sinks, close range vent. Try to create a little negative air pressure inside the Airstream and see what happens.

I suppose the floor is open to the belly pan under the cabinets, maybe won't work.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
It is the combined negative air pressure inside, plus the positive pressure at the front of the trailer, which add up to create the leak IMO, and only at highway speeds. One cannot replicate this combination, except while towing under similar monsoonal conditions, unfortunately. Standing still does not cut it probably.

[ Or putting the entire rig inside a wind tunnel, of course . . . ]

A third factor occurs to me, implicit in the above, but if -- while on a two-lane road -- a big semi comes along in the other lane, the blast of air from that rig hitting the front street-side door would be huge, and would "pump" any standing water (already pooled in the various gaps at the edges of the door) past the weather stripping IMO.

Steve, do you recall traveling any two-lane roads during your monsoonal motorcade meanderings? [ free alliteration too . . . ! ]

We all know the power of hydraulics in a variety of settings. Bulldozers come to mind -- have you ever watched them operate, and marvel at the ability of those small silver hydraulic cylinders to move the blade against such huge earthly resistance?

Good luck getting to the bottom of this. I hope Jackson Center appreciates these suggestions from the peanut gallery!

Cheers,

Peter

Old 05-25-2016, 04:58 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Another interesting thought, Peter. I don't recall that but if so, that would definitely be another reason to put the emergency exit door on the curb side. It could also explain why I haven't heard about this phenomenon by rear bed owners with forward doors...
Old 06-09-2016, 05:48 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Steve: Just found this thread. Congratulations on a terrific idea and following thru. The door looks great. My wife in particular has always been concerned about egress from the bedroom in our 30'FC and I've thought of a larger window, but not a door. Now going to consider this option thanks to you.

Enjoy

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks, Bud. If you're interested, reach out to Brad in service: bherring@airstream.com - he's VERY familiar with the entire process. Garrett was the tech and did a great job.

I haven't figured out the seal leak under driving conditions - need to test that with the vents closed (not creating a vacuum) but Brad's aware of that and we'll probably head back next year to have it addressed.

Others here also thought doing it on the curbside might make more sense. So lots of options. We're very glad we did it! Good luck!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Not sure if this is a really valid test but our ride back home from our trip this weekend included a soaked trailer from a weekend of rain - though it stopped raining when we actually left the campsite - and we went through a few periods of light rain (nothing like the torrential downpours first mentioned here). All vents were closed tight and there was no leaking from the door seal.

I found myself thinking...why can't I drive in the rain again? And - I wish I had a hose I could just aim at the door while driving to see if there would be a leak. Yes - this makes me weird... 😀

So while not an ideal test, I'm feeling like we might be on to something here.

Now if this is a good enough test, I guess the challenge would be to know on a 2-300 mile drive where and when to expect rain since the beauty of having the Maxxair covers on the Fantastic Fans is the ability to air out and cool off the trailer while traveling. Will keep you posted if we're ever lucky enough for another downpour 😀
Old 07-14-2016, 05:59 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Not sure if this is a really valid test . . .
. . .
Will keep you posted if we're ever lucky enough for another downpour 😀
Glad things improved, but guessing like you that only a repeat of the previous conditions will be the true test.

Hope your summer is going well.

Peter