Old 04-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
What a great thread! Thanks for sharing!
Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. The guys at Jackson Center are expecting they'll get a few more requests for this. I told them when they make it standard, I want a royalty....like 30% per trailer 😀

Old 04-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Having a door on the street side would make this Airstream very attractive to the resale market in Japan and the UK someday. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroyl View Post
Having a door on the street side would make this Airstream very attractive to the resale market in Japan and the UK someday. 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

So I got that going for me 😜

Just brought it back home and packed it up. Another benefit....

I usually store the ProPride stinger and associated tools in a bag that I was storing inside the door of the trailer (at the back of the trailer). Now, I can just take 3 steps from the hitch and drop it on the bedroom floor! I like that! 😀
Old 04-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Serendipity is right where you find it!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Emergency Exit Door Mod

By the way - a bit of bummer news on the door I forgot to report here. Last weekend in our return trip during a 2 hour torrential downpour, we noticed when opening the new door that the hinge at the top of the door apparently has compressed the gasket and that rain, combined with 55-60 mph driving brought water inside the door (on the interior face of the door and thankfully not inside the trailer itself).

I contacted the factory and they offered to have a look if I could get back to the factory - but I told them that won't happen this year. They told me that since I reported it, they'd consider it a warranty repair even if I can't get it back to them until next year some time.

When it rains and the trailer is in storage, no leak - it seems related to the speed of driving during the rain only - which would explain why they didn't see a leak after 30 minutes of having several hoses on it after installation.

A couple pics are attached. First one shows the hinge area and the second shows the water on the interior face of the door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1462747096.211499.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	262159Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1462747119.867764.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	262160
Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
By the way - a bit of bummer news on the door I forgot to report here. Last weekend in our return trip during a 2 hour torrential downpour, we noticed when opening the new door that the hinge at the top of the door apparently has compressed the gasket and that rain, combined with 55-60 mph driving brought water inside the door (on the interior face of the door and thankfully not inside the trailer itself).

I contacted the factory and they offered to have a look if I could get back to the factory - but I told them that won't happen this year. They told me that since I reported it, they'd consider it a warranty repair even if I can't get it back to them until next year some time.

When it rains and the trailer is in storage, no leak - it seems related to the speed of driving during the rain only - which would explain why they didn't see a leak after 30 minutes of having several hoses on it after installation.

A couple pics are attached. First one shows the hinge area and the second shows the water on the interior face of the door.

Attachment 262159Attachment 262160
That shouldn't be difficult to fix Steve...
That door is an awesome addition to the Tin Goat!
You need to make a trip to Alumapalooza next year and have them "tweak" it for you...
Bruce
Old 05-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
That shouldn't be difficult to fix Steve...

That door is an awesome addition to the Tin Goat!

You need to make a trip to Alumapalooza next year and have them "tweak" it for you...

Bruce

Thanks, Coach! 😀

May have to do exactly that...would have to start planning now for the vacation time...man does work get in the way of camping!

"Would it spoil some vast eternal plan?????" 😂
Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
By the way - a bit of bummer news on the door I forgot to report here.
. . .
Thanks for the update. Yeah, there is a lot of air pressure at the new door when driving, and even a small air leak can suck water in with it. Hopefully they can tweak the door tighter against the weatherstripping.

It may be that an additional layer of thin compressible weatherstripping is needed, between the edge of the door and the door jamb, on the hinge side? There are all kinds of odd-ball cross-sections available from the residential sliding door arena, as well as marine skylights/hatches/portholes. A skillful adaptation of a non-standard application may fit the bill.

Is the factory set up to vacuum test the trailer for air leaks, the same way that residences can be checked for thermal efficiency?

Good luck!

Peter
Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks, Peter - good food for thought.

The Seal-tech (or tek?) process they used seems to force air out of the trailer rather than draw it in. They put soapy water on the skins to see where bubbles form to fill the gaps. And when they installed the door, they had a hose array (simulating a pretty good rain storm) on the door for about a half hour and there weren't any leaks. I think to your point, just enough of a gap in the seal would get magnified at highway speeds and draw water in.

I'll see if there's any knowledgeable folks nearby who could have a look but if not, I'll have to get myself back to Ohio next year. I kind of like the trip so who knows 😀
Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
At the risk of oversimplifying the process, the same fan/pump that pressurizes the trailer to test for leaks could be reversed to create a vacuum. I have seen water run uphill in residences exposed to high wind loads (with poor weatherstripping on the downwind side of the house). Even a small pinhole with water standing on it, when pressurized slightly, will permit a leak.

You could actually mock up a crude version of this with heavy polyethylene taped over the main doorway, and a good size residential fan taped into the poly sheeting within the opening. It only takes a small vacuum, plus constant uniform water in the leaking area. Just run a hose down the hinge edge of the door in a constant stream to fill the gap between the door and the door jamb.

Chances are pretty good you can re-create the leak IMO.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks - that's an interesting thought!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Steve, did you have the roof vents open when on the highway and it was leaking (assuming you have vent covers)? If so this could have set up a negative air pressure relative the the outside, basically sucking the rain water in, pulling it through the door seal perhaps. Especially if there was a side wind on that side of the trailer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Good question, Doug. I'm pretty sure the fantastic fan vents were open (under the maxx air vent covers). I travel that way all the time. Something else to look in to...
Old 05-11-2016, 03:30 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Excellent point Doug, and exactly the kind of negative pressure which can cause water to run uphill, or past an otherwise fairly good weatherstripping seal. The new door at the front of the trailer is obviously exposed to not only more frontal wind impact, but also to the slipstream of air coming off the tow vehicle. Under certain gust and side wind conditions, the atmospheric load on the new weatherstripping could be significant, at times. Not sure how to quantify this without further testing [ a wind tunnel? ] but good to consider . . .

"Never a dull moment" covers the ownership of these big silver toys?

PS -- Maybe close the ceiling fan vents when underway to check things out, if the weather is not crazy hot?