Old 04-07-2005, 10:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
Yes this is a good subject but so far no cigar on any definitive answers overall.
  • First Craftsman how bout asking a Moderator* to change the subject title to "Door Windows vs. No Door Windows" This question is larger than just the Sovereign crowd and your title may discourage some from looking into the thread.
Obviously from the PMissar's document the window was an option at one time in '78.
  • pmissar would you be able to post a copy of that sheet? or perhaps send me a copy of it snail mail? If willing please PM me. What other literature do you have concerning the 78s or any other year?
  • patterson what do you mean by a "sealed radius" window?
The jaloise window vs fixed glass is also a subject that deserves an accurate discussion as to when and why they changed. That could be handled here or in another thread.

This could develop into a valuable (and interesting) thread.

Flicka

* As required by the Thought Police Patriot Act of 4-2005
I now have a copy of the options sheet for the 1978 Airstream line.
The door window was offered as an option then. I know that it was not offered on the 1973. My dad ordered every possible option on his 1973 Sov. LY, incuding the International package. It has EVERYTHING including the optional L-Gaucho up front and the optional mid-ship queen bed. Loaded to the hilt.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Yes this is a good subject but so far no cigar on any definitive answers overall.[list][list][*]patterson what do you mean by a "sealed radius" window?

This could develop into a valuable (and interesting) thread.

Flicka
Flicka,
A sealed radius window has been made for years. Hehr made them by the millions for the SOB market. They still do.
Any "rounded" window could be considered a sealed radius window. I have always referred to them as a sealed radius window.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:10 AM   #17
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I have one for sale

I have a window for the door but it is opaque glass, (like a bathroom glass) you cant see through it but all of the light and you can see if some one is at the door.

It has all of the frame and is not that hard to install, cut hole in door and rivet frames on each side of door.

130 dollars and shipping.

Smily
Old 04-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Well Smily hows about a "rest of the story" to go with your sales pitch.

What did it come off of (model) and how did you end up with it?
What became of the door it is out of?
Do you think the opaque is stock or a re-glaze. I hope it is tempered or safety.

thanks
Flicka
Old 04-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
My 31' 1976 Sovereign doesnt have a window in the door. On smaller units this to me doesn't look bad but on the larger units the window in the door just asthetically looks better. I've looked through the photo archives and I came across a 31' 76 that has the window in the door and I've come across photos of 76's and 77's without. (no 75's) What year did Aistream start putting windows in the doors of the Sovereigns, Early on, was it an option? As you can tell I'd like to have a window in the door of my Sovereign. Anyone with experience adding a window or should I look for a door from a junker? Thanks, Jack
Hi Jack:

The 1977 Airstream catalog states a [fixed] window in the door is a "new for 1977" option, apparently available on all trailers at extra cost. "A new window in the main door brings more light into the living area while allowing you to see out."

It is not mentioned in the 1976 catalog. Airstream model years are not calendar years, but begin about 6 months earlier. So, the fixed window in door option may have appeared on trailers beginning in mid summer 1976. Some of those trailers may have been reigistered with states during 1976 as 1976 instead of 1977 trailers. Or, maybe the fixed window on door option was available on some 1976 model year trailers before the 1977 model year began.

Fifteen years earlier, the 1961-63 Bambi had a jalousie window in the main door as the only curb side window. In the early years it was optional with the then standard door-within-a door, but in the later years it may have been the standard door feature for Bambis only. The 1964 Bambi II also had a jalousie window in the door, but it supplemented a curb side galley window. Offhand, I can't think of any other pre-1977 trailers that had a window within a door as opposed to a door within a door, which last appeared in 1964.

Incidentially, we have a small Bambi-rama building at our 2005 Rocky Mt. VAC Rally with 5 now signed up: a 2002 19 footer, a 1961 16 footer, and three 1964 17' Bambi IIs. It will be fun comparing them to each other.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Yowsah, yowsah, yowsah, get your window here

Are you interested in the window?

I dont know what model it came off of. It is stock opaque and not a glaze
It was actually a Bathroom window and not specifically for a door. And seeing that it is still attached to the Sheetmetal (aluminum skin of Airstream) that it came from I would venture to say it is tempered. (OEM Airstream).
I bought it with intentions of installing in the door of a 79 Sovereign I once owned, I sold the Sovereign before I got a chance to install the window.

I do have the interior and exterior frame. they are still riveted to the skin. Skin was cut from Airstream. All parts are accounted for including the rivets

Quote:
Well Smily hows about a "rest of the story" to go with your sales pitch.

What did it come off of (model) and how did you end up with it?
What became of the door it is out of?
Do you think the opaque is stock or a re-glaze. I hope it is tempered or safety.

thanks
Flicka
Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
The 1977 Airstream catalog states... "A new window in the main door brings more light into the living area while allowing you to see out."

Thank you Airstream for the clarification.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #22
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Pix of window

I thought I had posted this before,

Look here for pictures

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=window+door
Old 04-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
Are you interested in the window?

I dont know what model it came off of. It is stock opaque and not a glaze
It was actually a Bathroom window and not specifically for a door. And seeing that it is still attached to the Sheetmetal (aluminum skin of Airstream) that it came from I would venture to say it is tempered. (OEM Airstream).
I bought it with intentions of installing in the door of a 79 Sovereign I once owned, I sold the Sovereign before I got a chance to install the window.

I do have the interior and exterior frame. they are still riveted to the skin. Skin was cut from Airstream. All parts are accounted for including the rivets
What kind of dinero(dollars)would you be wanting if for sale?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:35 AM   #24
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbob
What kind of dinero(dollars)would you be wanting if for sale?
$130.00 you pay shipping.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Any round windows for sale out there? Maybe off a Spartan would work too.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
77 Excella has door window

My '77 Excella 31' has the window in the door. But the shade that slides down doesn't work very well...
Old 02-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
My '77 Excella 31' has the window in the door. But the shade that slides down doesn't work very well...
Jim, the shade in my '77 was a little stiff. I believe the PO had it repaired because the rivets had been drilled out and screws put back in at the top where the inner skin of the door had been pulled back. It doesn't look like a hard operation for the fix.

I like the window in the door so that I can quickly see who is there. If I want more privacy, I pull the shade or attach a solar sheet with velcro over the window.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I keep the window to our motor home covered and have yet to pull up the shade. I have never washed the window and have no plans to do so. What is the reason for a window in the door. Remember that the screen door covers it and you have to open both doors to close the shade on the door window at night, this can be a nuisance at times.