Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
This is the proper way to adjust the door(s) on an Airstream. This was prepared for dealers to use to familiarize themselves with the process. As it says in the video, the customer may not want to see this process!

https://youtu.be/j7-PprGeESE

Great video tips! Thanks for sharing.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
where are documents. can't find them.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

This is one of two chronic problems caused by production engineering not addressing them. The jig used to built the entry doors sets the striker bolt too high in the frame.

The other is the 30" window jig. It sets the plastic window positioners 1/2" too low resulting in the window laying back against the gasket when in the first notch. The window should be held several inches open in the first notch. Just the 30" windows.

Airstream knows these problems exist. Many of us have told them directly and they have had multiple warranty claims on these two items. Yet the problems go unanswered.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Bear inind that raising or lowering the rear stabilizers is done by a single motor. I would suggest you put them down so that they are just contacting the ground firmly and then put a socket wrench on the adjusting stud on the right side and lower that stabilizer only about a half turn and see if the door alignment changes at all, if not put another half turn on the adjuster. If after a couple of full turns there is no change then it's probably the door alignment itself. I am always surprised how much the trailer flexes and how much that effects the door closing.
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Door closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Can't say for sure as I haven't tried your door, but it's been my experience that airstream doors under normal circumstances take a decent slam to get them to close properly.
Not so. Our 2017 Int. Serenity 23D door was a bit tough to close when we took delivery and I thought, 'well, that is just the way they are". Fast forward to the Tampa RV show 2018. Big display of Airstreams. I had the opportunity to open and close doors. Man, most opened and closed very nicely. I already had appt. at Jackson Center for some minor warranty work to be performed in May 2018. Russ (the technician) adjusted my door and now it closes with the sweetest sounding click you could imagine. So my advice is have it adjusted under warranty and it should, if properly adjusted and fitted, open and close easily. You do not want to watch as Technician adjusts door. Russ indicated he has adjusted many a door.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #26
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Door would not close/solution...temp changes?

Dropped 30 degF yesterday in KS....winterized last night and then returned to trailer this AM to open and then could not close door. After a bit of frustrated concern (and before coming to the forum) - noticed that the striker bar had a hex head .... suggesting "adjustment"....(door lock "jaws" were hitting the hex head rather than the bar...just barely ie. 1/16"?). With an open end wrench turned 1-2 times around - to lengthen...works great! Am guessing the cold snap just shrunk the FC enough to cause....the event. What I like about this TT life and the expertise in the forum....to figure stuff out...
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
I have noticed that when opening an AS TT door, if you use your thumb and firmly press the latch in as far as it will go, Then pull the handle, the door opens easily. I noticed that my wife would typically grab the latch and immediately pull out on it--often times requiring kind of a yanking of the door to get it to open. The Thumb Method seems to work much easier, and also appears to be better for the mechanism.
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Latch-Bolt Follow-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
Had this exact issue. Did not add washer (yet) as backing the latch bolt out just a tiny bit resolved the issue.
Ultimately I did need to add a washer to the latch-bolt.
Now the door closes much better - no more slamming.

!! IMPORTANT!!
If you find that you need to add a washer to the latch-bolt then make *sure* the plate the latch bolt screws into is solidly attached to the door frame (2 rivets). On mine, both rivets had popped and had I fully removed the latch-bolt before replacing those rivets the plate would have dropped inside the door frame making for a very bad day.