Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #1

1998 34' Excella 1000
Brentwood , Tennessee
door out of alignment-won't close

I have a '98 34foof airstream classic excella 1000. My door is out of alignment and will not close. The hinges are tight, however, the gap in edge of the door is greater at the top than the bottom. The alignment pin for the door closer is approximately 1/4 inch off, making it impossible to close the door. Is there a way to adjust the hinges or the door closer mechanism? Any help out there is appreciated. I can't travel until is can close the door.
JimChandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Okay, nobody wants to stick their neck out. So I will. I have watched the Airstream Dealer use a block of wood and warp the door to fit. Now, I haven't tried it myself, but I think that's what they will do if you go to them. He put a piece of 2x4 where the door was warped in and then pushed on the end that was warped out.

No guarentees. Good luck!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Okay, nobody wants to stick their neck out. So I will. I have watched the Airstream Dealer use a block of wood and warp the door to fit. Now, I haven't tried it myself, but I think that's what they will do if you go to them. He put a piece of 2x4 where the door was warped in and then pushed on the end that was warped out.

No guarentees. Good luck!
I've done it on mine ,and it worked
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
fixed ours today

Used a hard plastic washer cut in half, lifted the door and shimmed it in at the bottom of the hinge----worked like a charm-------not my original idea, a few folks have posted about it and it works
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Had the same problem when I purchased my '87 Excella. Seller had tried to disguise it (and did a good job of it) with a lot of rubber molding material. Door was difficult to open, but I didn't put two and two together at the time. Anyway, I lived with it for awhile and then decided to order a new door. Went to the dealer in Searcy, Arkansas to do so. In the course of discussing with the fellow at the parts counter, a technician overheard our conversation and asked to take a look at it. After telling me all the bad things that could happen, he offered to give it a whirl if I was willing to take a chance. As I had went there to order a new door anyway, I didn't feel I had anything to lose. As Cooperhawk and bobchevy89 have already stated, two technicians but blocks in strategic places and pulled on the door so hard I thought the trailer would turn over or they would pull the hinges off. Well, neither happened and they fixed my door. Not exactly perfect, but with just a little rubber molding I now have a door that fits tight and opens and closes easily. Needless to say, I was extremely grateful for the "extra mile" the technicians of this dealership took and was impressed with the professionalism of the entire staff. After seeing the torque placed on the door with no damage whatsoever, I am more sold on the quality of Airstreams than ever. Good luck on your fix.