Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 27
Door on a Safari 1967

I need information about removing the door on a 1967 Safari.
The door seems to be out of alignment and squeaks when it opens.
Have lubricated it with silicone and oil, but, still squeaks!
Any suggestion?
Should I remove it to see if the pin in bent?
Thanks, Rupert
__________________

__________________
RupertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertJ View Post
I need information about removing the door on a 1967 Safari.
The door seems to be out of alignment and squeaks when it opens.
Have lubricated it with silicone and oil, but, still squeaks!
Any suggestion?
Should I remove it to see if the pin in bent?
Thanks, Rupert
The out of alignment is usually because of the hinge wear.

The hinge can be loosened and the door realigned.

Give the lube job a few days to do it's job.

The hinge is obsolete, but the hinge pin is available.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 27
Thanks Andy!
Do you know where I could get the pin?
Thanks, Rupert
__________________
RupertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 27
Also Andy:
How do you loosen the hinge??
Thanks,
Rupert
__________________
RupertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertJ View Post
Also Andy:
How do you loosen the hinge??
Thanks,
Rupert
We have the pins.

The hinge can be bolted or riveted in place.

If it's riveted, then the rivets must be drilled out and replaced with 1/4 inch bolts.

It's best to use the bolts on the door part of the hinge, and "NOT" on the shell side.

In that way, you can enlarge the bolt holes so there is a little slop in them.

That then allows you to adjust the door as need be,

BUT replace the pin before anything else, as that may take care of the door fitting issue.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 27
Thanks Andy:
I will get a pin from "Inland RV Center".
How does the old pin come out?
I do not want to damage anything. It seems to have a very small security pin across the main pin that could be drill out. I assume that the main pin can then be hammered up, although I do not see a head on the top portion of the main pin, but perhaps it does one visible once it is remove.
Thanks for your answers.
Rupert
__________________
RupertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertJ View Post
Thanks Andy:
I will get a pin from "Inland RV Center".
How does the old pin come out?
I do not want to damage anything. It seems to have a very small security pin across the main pin that could be drill out. I assume that the main pin can then be hammered up, although I do not see a head on the top portion of the main pin, but perhaps it does one visible once it is remove.
Thanks for your answers.
Rupert
Rupert.

Remove the split pin.

Use a flat head punch to get the old hinge pin to move at least a little bit.

Then you can use the new pin to remove the old pin, by inserting it in the top of the hinge and then tapping on it "gently".

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1967


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1964 door in a Door entry door hinges recycled Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents 1 09-18-2013 07:07 PM
1967 Door Question star kitty Doors & Locks 14 03-16-2011 06:08 PM
Door in a door '53 cloud inner door size. Flysoncloud Doors & Locks 13 09-18-2010 08:10 PM
STOLEN: 1967 Safari m/o 1967 Dodge 300 truck, Oakland CA. siliconboy Our Community 3 07-27-2005 10:47 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.