Old 07-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Thank you again for all the suggestions. The leaky sinks, and power jack are all fixed. The door is closing, not properly, but we can get it closed. We use the stabilizers very gingerly and are hoping to get to a dealer in Seattle in August.

Overall we are loving our new AS. And thanks to all the support from the folks on the forum we are back on track and just enjoying our trip.

Thank you AS Community for all of your support! We really appreciate it.

Beth & Lori
Newbies with a 2017 Classic

Change = Opportunity
eawotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #16
2006 34' Classic
Fort Worth , Texas

Airstream bodies and frames are not weak, they are flexible and must be to prevent cracking at the many stress points, such as each rivet hole and weld points in the frame. Just ride in an empty large passenger plane and watch it flex. It will scare the delights out of you. Also, many larger aluminum trailers will get skin cracks around the entry doors. Usually the upper front corner. So you see the monocoque construction is a series of fasteners as well as stress risers. The only way to eliminate this is to build it out of solid aluminum stock. Which would not be feasible. You could add many more rivets between those already in place. But, the labor cost increase would be significant. Each rivet hole requires 8 steps: measure, placement, marking, drilling, install a Cleco, remove the Cleco, place the rivet, and finally buck it.
BTW, if you are replacing a panel you have the initial step of drilling out the old rivet and cleaning out the hole. Eleven steps total. I really never thought of this until a tech was ask by my insurance adjustor why sheet metal repair was so expensive. He had no more question and approved the re-skinning after a hail storm.

guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
On the 2016 Greenhorn Adventure a member had a new Airstream and the door would close, but appeared the need to be curved more for fitting the entry. The arc of the entry and the door were off, possibly from the heavy door gasket, hinges, curvature of the door... or a combination.

If you make a post under Boondocking and the 2016 Greenhorn Adventure, he may respond. I will try to find their email address and give them notice that someone has a similar issue. Although they may be not the same, it could help. They live in Oregon.

(PM NoResults if you are still looking for answers.)
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #18
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Very, very sorry to hear of all your problems. But, sadly, that level of quality control is the norm with Airstream whether you buy their cheapest trailer or their most expensive. There are hours upon hours worth of reading on this forum regarding Airstream's lack of quality control.
Good luck!
When Airstream was Airstream, they had good quality control and pride in their product (thus a lifetime guarantee). Unfortunately, their current profit-driven business model is part of Thor's corporate culture. Their current owner, Thor is not known in any of their product lines for "quality control".

It is also true that the problems you've experienced, although disillusioning, are not all that serious. A trailer/ motorhome is really nothing more than a traveling house experiencing constant earthquakes while traveling down the road...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2014 28' International
Marietta , Georgia
If you withstand the initial QC slop, the coach will be enjoyable. Yes, assembly quality out of the JC facility is par with, well, a Kazak shoe factory. Service will tell you "everything is to RIVA standards". Whatev.

Not what you want to hear, as much as it wasn't what I wanted to hear after dropping 90k...schedule a trip to OHIO. There's a decent Subway there, a cool hardware store, and the dive bar is a great place to talk to plant employees.
14 Serentiy 28' "Built by British Leyland"
74 IH 100 Travelall Custom "Sal"
75 IH 200 Pickup 4x4 "Hal"

westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Yep your door most likely is out of square. I have a 2000 34 limited that the door was out of squaire. I removed the door and had to use a dremel to grind the bolt holes. The top hole was ground down and toward the back 1/2 and the bottom hole was just ground 1/2 lower to get it right. If U check your trailer nothing is square or plumb. I level my trailer with shower door open. If the door stays half open then I know the trailer is level in the center. Put the level on floor in front and front is down, put level in back and back is down. As much as I hate to say airstream does not build any thing any better than other SOB's. Joined WBCCI in 1990 best part of an airstream is the people, Done 38 caravans with WBCCI. Loven it.

rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote