Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
hartsville , Tennessee
Door Not Shutting...

I have recently gutted a '72 Overlander, down to only the shell and the frame. Now, my door does not open and shut correctly. Will this problem correct itself when I install the new subfloor or is there some other solution that I should be considering? Thanks

Bob
doglickfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wow that's a big question! It depends on the problem...

Th bottomline is that it sounds like the shape of the frame (&/or door) has changed since you gutted it. I assume your floor is out too, if so what is keeping the shape intact? Are the channels that the ribs are supported on attached to or supported by anything? If not the whole shell can "fltten" or sag out of shape. Any pictures you have could help us understand what you are up against ~

Regardless, if you can return the shape back to what it was prior to gutting and removing the floor when you reinstall it, it should be okay...but if your door's hinges are sprung or your door's shape is modified or flattened, it could be a whole different fix.

Any additional info or clues will help...we just replaced our floor (shell on) and once it was all put back together it's been fine - but our door closed fine even with the floor out because it was supported the entire time. The key is to knowing exactly how it was before the gutting - so you can put it back together. Hope you took lots of pictures & measurements rather than just relying on your memory, trial & error ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote