Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sebastopol , California
Door Locked, Can't open or Remove Lock

I know this has been covered before in other threads but I can't figure my way out of this one. I have a 1984 Excella 31'. The door handle just spins on the inside and does nothing on the outside. The key also does nothing. What ever the handles engaged, is no longer in place.

Unfortunately, because the door is closed against the screen, I can't remove the lock to see whats in there. There also are no screws on the outside to remove the lock from there. My RV person told me he would try and 'spring' the door open with a crow bar but since Aluminum does not flex like steel I don't think thats the best approach.

Please help. My daughter and I are getting tired of crawling in and out through the windows.

Many thanks,
Ben (and my daughter Lila)
Aluminumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
for immediate help

I'd contact Andy at Inland. I know he has the solution.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I'd contact Andy at Inland. I know he has the solution.
I won't be in my office until 9 am today.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I won't be in my office until 9 am today.

Andy
Andy, I have a 76 Sovereign and probably will need to know how to get in/out of a locked door, sooner or later. What is the secret? You can PM me with the info. Thanks, Bill Lewis (lebolewis)
Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis View Post
Andy, I have a 76 Sovereign and probably will need to know how to get in/out of a locked door, sooner or later. What is the secret? You can PM me with the info. Thanks, Bill Lewis (lebolewis)
Sorry, but nothing regarding that subject in writing, anywhere.

Nor should anyone else "EVER" put it in writing.

That info is valueable to a thief.

But, you can call me and I will be happy to tell you how.

This issue, I am sure, is the only time the mods will approve a "call me" note.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
The bolt inside your lock has fractured. I had the same problem with my '80 Excella. You can get the door open by disassembling the lock on the inside or taking the hinges apart outside. Either way the lock will still have to be taken apart so you might as well do it inside. The way I did it was to open the sliding panel in the screen door that you use to open the door. Remove the screws holding the lock plate and handle in the door and remove the guts from the lock. The old lock cannot be replaced or repaired so do whatever you have to do to get to the piece of the bolt that is in the door jamb. It will be held there by a spring which will have to be removed in order to slide the bolt out of the jamb. Once you get the bolt slid back the door will open but you will not be able to close it now. The only fix is to get a replacement lock kit and install it. Unfortunately the old lock is out of production and there is no direct replacement for it. Inland RV stocks the lock kit go to their website and take a look. Hope this help you out.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I had the same problem with my 86 Excella 500. I took the broken parts to a very good welder and he "repaired" the broken pieces. The door works as it should, now.
It was a b%^h to get apart but needle nose plyers are a great help. Do watch that spring as it will fly and you will need it to put the door latch back together.
I took pictures of what things looked like before being removed and used it to put everything back together.
Good luck.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:35 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Nokomis , Florida
Please help. Our 2016 Flying Cloud door has locked with the keys inside. Two locksmith have not been able to help. Please advise. The closest dealer is 70 mile away. Any suggestions?

We are desperate.
LParsons78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #9
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
OMG. So sorry. Is there any way to come through a hatch and unscrew boards? What is your model? I suggest calling Airstream HQ in Jackson Center (technical support) when they open today. Good luck!
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LParsons78 View Post
Please help. Our 2016 Flying Cloud door has locked with the keys inside. Two locksmith have not been able to help. Please advise. The closest dealer is 70 mile away. Any suggestions?

We are desperate.

Any spare keys anywhere that may be a closer drive than the dealer?

Is yours a front bed model? If so - and you're small enough - you can gain access through the storage area behind the propane tanks. That area is under the bed - once you squeeze yourself in to the storage area you'd have to push the platform up and then you're in. If you think you can fit - have the locksmith open THAT lock.

Good luck! This is a frustrating thing that happens to many of us - myself included. When resolved make 2 full sets of spare keys - keep one in the tow vehicle or somewhere safe that's outside the trailer at all times. That's saved my bacon a few times.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
when you do get it worked out, get multiple spares. I have 4 sets: one in a hide-a-key box on the AS, one on my wife's ring, one on my ring, and a fourth, kept in the truck. The odds of a fail with that many locations isn't likely.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
OK... going to make lots of people mad with this post...

If your Airstream has the big windows that swing fully out from hinges on top... they can be unlocked from outside. Use a flat pry bar (metal ruler, spatula will do) to ease a slight opening between the gasket and the window pane between the locks, then use the hooked end of a straightened metal coat hanger to pull down the hasp (the part that sticks straight up) scooch the hanger to the opposite lock and repeat.
You might have to gently wiggle everything a bit, but the window will eventually swing open. Punch the screen inward near each of the bottom corners and climb in. TA-DA!

The screen can be easily reinstalled with the existing spline (rubber gasket) if you leave the top and part of the sides intact.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
HOW TO PREVENT ENTRY AS PER PRIOR POST

So it makes you insecure to know how easily you can get in?

Well a lockout device can be made with one inch PVC Pipe. Cut a piece that will fit between the two inside pieces of the window lock handles, then cut a slot into one end big enough that you can drop it over one handle. Rotate the PVC so that the slot does not align with the handle to prevent easy removal. If you are super paranoid wrap some duct tape around the end of the pipe woth the slot... BUT Remember in a fire EVERY WINDOW can be an escape window.

Paula
Old 01-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

If your Airstream has the big windows that swing fully out from hinges on top... they can be unlocked from outside. Use a flat pry bar (metal ruler, spatula will do) to ease a slight opening between the gasket and the window pane between the locks, then use the hooked end of a straightened metal coat hanger to pull down the hasp (the part that sticks straight up) scooch the hanger to the opposite lock and repeat.
You might have to gently wiggle everything a bit, but the window will eventually swing open. Punch the screen inward near each of the bottom corners and climb in. TA-DA!

The screen can be easily reinstalled with the existing spline (rubber gasket) if you leave the top and part of the sides intact.
Andy nor I would make this way public as theives could steal AS. As Andy posted pm him andhe would tell how to get in as you described. I also posted same info as Andy in past, so IMO think mods should take down for security of AS owners
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:

Andy nor I would make this way public as thieves could steal AS. As Andy posted pm him andhe would tell how to get in as you described. I also posted same info as Andy in past, so IMO think mods should take down for security of AS owners.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Hate to say it, but ot has been posted here years ago. I couldn't find the link (again! #%@$) or I would have used it. Also jave seen it elsewhere. Pipe lock override added. KNOW the weakness, fix it may be better tjan blissful ignorance.

Respectfully, Paula
Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
HOW TO PREVENT ENTRY AS PER PRIOR POST

So it makes you insecure to know how easily you can get in?

Well a lockout device can be made with one inch PVC Pipe. Cut a piece that will fit between the two inside pieces of the window lock handles, then cut a slot into one end big enough that you can drop it over one handle. Rotate the PVC so that the slot does not align with the handle to prevent easy removal. If you are super paranoid wrap some duct tape around the end of the pipe woth the slot... BUT Remember in a fire EVERY WINDOW can be an escape window.

Paula

I think I'm seeing what you're saying. If you've done this do you have pics or maybe a YouTube? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
No pics. I leave mine alone, but to visualize it, the lock handles point inward at each other when the window is locked. Take an empty paper towel roll and mount it between the handles. See?

PVC won't bend like cardboard so you cut a slit in one end to let the pipe fall over the handle, then turn the pipe 90 degrees so the handles can't move if someome tries to jimmy the locks from outside.

If you can't picture where the slot goes, put one end of the pipe over one lock handle and rest the other end on top of the opposite lock handle. Trace a cut line on the pipe using the handle. A Dremel tool would be handy to make the slot.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Very helpful. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LParsons78 View Post

We are desperate.

Any update??