Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Queen Creek , Arizona
Door Lock Set for '58 Overlander Needed

Hi,

I am in need of a lockset for my '58 Overlander. It is not the Bargman L-66 fridge handle style. It also is not the Bargman L-100 style. But, it is very similar to the L-100. The main difference is in the cover plate. The lockset I need has to have a round cover plate. It will have round knobs. I don't know if the inside is a lever or not and don't care one way or the other.

Bargman is not making this lockset. No one seems to have a replacement lockset either.

If anyone has one they would like to sell or trade me, please let me know.

Steve

Steve Jones
'58 Overlander

I have a whole trailer full of OEM parts to sell.
s-mcycles.com/airstream for tons of pics and info

S&M Cycles
Queen Creek, AZ 85242
602-321-0421
Cornfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Steve, your lockset may have been switched over and adapted at some point in time. My past research causes me to believe that a 1958 Overlander should have the L-77 vertical "fridge" style handle (obsolete) rather than a lockset with a round backing plate. It sounds like you're describing a lockset that was not original on a '58. Without seeing a picture of your lockset, my suggestion would be to browse through the parts illustrations on the Inland RV site. They have locks or lock kits to replace the original locksets on all trailers.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Queen Creek , Arizona
Not an L-77 lock set

My door did NOT have an L-77 lock set. My door has been changed by PO to a modern residential lock set. However the marks on the door skin are round and much larger than the current door lock. There also is no other holes for the L-77 to have been mounted to. In addition to which my door is a suicide and has the second latch.

This door did NOT have any of the standard lock set. Here is a pic of my lock set. Clicking the thumbnail is ill advised if on a land line as it is somewhere over 2meg.

It is very clear in the pics that the original lock set was round and the cover plate was also much larger than a standard residential deadbolt/lock set.

Without being able to find an original lock set I probably will end up putting in a stainless commercial round knob lock set that is as stubby as I can find. I'm certainly not interested in paying $200+ to maintain authenticity of the trailer's original state as I am completely modernizing the entire interior.

Steve

Steve Jones
'58 Overlander

S&M Cycles
Queen Creek, AZ 85242
602-321-0421
Old 09-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Queen Creek , Arizona
Buying Parts Retail

Oh yeah, I forgot. I don't need to buy parts from Inland. I own an motorcycle parts business and have enough tax numbers to choke a horse. I've already been establishing wholesale accounts at Bargman, Dometic, Blaine Windows, and others as I get to them.

After I get all of my literature and get a feel for what my prices are or discount rates I will be happy to make deals to other Airstreamers. I'm not in this for the money, I'm in this for the enjoyment of bringing back to life something that was neglected. Sure, I do expect to make some money, but it won't be much, probably just enough to justify my time, effort, and expenses.

I can't guarantee that I can beat so-and-so's prices, or anyone else's, that is at least until I can see what I can expect.

Steve

Steve Jones
'58 Overlander

S&M Cycles
Queen Creek, AZ 85242
602-321-0421