Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #1

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
bemidji , Minnesota
Door lock problem

I have a 1988 classic 345 airstream motor home with a working door lock that is getting worn and sometimes does not catch. There are two "philip type" knobs that stick out of the lock side and fit into a latch on the body side. THe knobs that stick out are wearing irregulary and are out of round. Can they be screwed out and replaced? If so are they a standard screw or a special part?
lorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
You may have a Bargman L-300 lockset. Do a search for Bargman Lock. I found a diagram that shows a parts breakdown. If this is the lock, there is a rebuild kit available.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #3

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
bemidji , Minnesota
Thanks for the information about the Bargman L-300 . It is hard to tell if this is the lock I have. It looks similar but not exact. I looked online for a rebuild kit and could not find one. Lorca.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Send a PM to member InlandAndy with your question. He stocks a lot of that stuff.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorca
I have a 1988 classic 345 airstream motor home with a working door lock that is getting worn and sometimes does not catch. There are two "philip type" knobs that stick out of the lock side and fit into a latch on the body side. THe knobs that stick out are wearing irregulary and are out of round. Can they be screwed out and replaced? If so are they a standard screw or a special part?
Those screws are a part of the lock, and are special to it.

They are bot ordinary screws.

I am not aware of a source for just "those screws."

The cause for the problem, is lack of proper running gear balance.

The entrance door is shaking up and down, which in turn, causes the wear you have described.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
bemidji , Minnesota
Thank you Andy for the reason that our lock has the problem it has. We will make sure that we watch that carefully. The problem is that we bought the Rv with this problem lock the way it is and want to replace it and are having a hard time trying to find a replacement. Once we get a new lock we will be careful to prevent this from happening while we are the caretakers of the RV.
Can you give us any more information on the type of lock we need. The L300 has 3 parts according to a web site I was on. They sell all 3 parts. I called the site on Saturday and the man said that there is one extra part that the airstream needs that is not listed but that I had to call back on Mon. I am not sure that this is the lock that fits the Airstream as the site was a general RV site and not an airstream site.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorca
Thank you Andy for the reason that our lock has the problem it has. We will make sure that we watch that carefully. The problem is that we bought the Rv with this problem lock the way it is and want to replace it and are having a hard time trying to find a replacement. Once we get a new lock we will be careful to prevent this from happening while we are the caretakers of the RV.
Can you give us any more information on the type of lock we need. The L300 has 3 parts according to a web site I was on. They sell all 3 parts. I called the site on Saturday and the man said that there is one extra part that the airstream needs that is not listed but that I had to call back on Mon. I am not sure that this is the lock that fits the Airstream as the site was a general RV site and not an airstream site.
We have the replacement lock, with instructions.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote