Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
Door lock issues

I guess by now people start really hating the airstream travelers.
I have read many stories tonight about many people having to slam their doors shut.
I know how that goes. I am in charge of locking the door when we leave and also the last one to take the dogs out. So I have turned in the agitated midnight door slammer. Sorry fellow campers but that was the only way to get the door closed after several tries.

Last year we already took the trailer back for service and our 2 main complaints were never taken care of since there was no issue with it at the dealer ship.

1st issue for which i will open another topic: opening the sewage cap to attach a hose to sewer creates a tsunami black water wave from the pipe and spills more than a gallon waste on the campground. Only happens 50% of the time so I guess it should be acceptable for a new AS

2nd issue the door never closed 100% of the time in the first try. The only way to get the door to close is by slamming really hard.
This was doable from the outside but trying to close the door from the inside has always been very difficult.
Thsi past weekend the door will only shut partially. It feels like it is on a first catch and only the top lock can be closed. The big deadbolt lock does not turn anymore.
Strangly the deadbolt doesnt even turn when the door is open.
After reading many post I realize that this might be a "common" problem with the doors.

I don't plan on tinkering with it myself since the trailer is still under warranty, but my question is what to say and ask for at the dealer so that they will take proper care for it.

Our AS is a 2009 25FB international

Thanks for the feedback
carlvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kamloops , british columbia
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f485...tml#post869916

Hello, here are some pics to give the dealer and request they follow the airstream guideline for alignment of the doors.
Gary and I requested this, they complied and the results were better than when they bashed it with a hammer. We then "trained" the screen door, using duck tape and pocket change to force it into alignment after a few months we took the change off and it had worked (like braces on teeth/except forcing the hinge).

Prior to the final (we hope door repair) we had to tug on it so hard that it fell apart in my hubbies hand. Someone then paniced that we were locked in, it was really funny but not really...

Jackie
Snowey BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowey BC View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f485...tml#post869916

Hello, here are some pics to give the dealer and request they follow the airstream guideline for alignment of the doors.
Gary and I requested this, they complied and the results were better than when they bashed it with a hammer. We then "trained" the screen door, using duck tape and pocket change to force it into alignment after a few months we took the change off and it had worked (like braces on teeth/except forcing the hinge).

Prior to the final (we hope door repair) we had to tug on it so hard that it fell apart in my hubbies hand. Someone then paniced that we were locked in, it was really funny but not really...

Jackie

Now that you mention the realignment. My memory is starting to work slowly . We did have an issue that the door closed had a 1/2" gap at the bottom corner (not on the hinge side). They fixed that with the "standard" 2x4 approach. So maybe they checked the locking mechanism before bending the door.
carlvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2005 safari 25FB, named Lucy, that we have camped in for over 800 nights and have towed over 70,000 miles. Lucy's door operates pretty much the same way that you describe. It takes fairly significant force to make the door close securely.

We too had the same opinion about Lucy's door. Several years ago we had Lucy at Jackson Center. We discussed this issue with the service technician. He adjusted the door jamb pin out ever so slightly. Before he did this, he marked the pin's original position with a sharpie. The door did close easier. He told us that in many instances, doing this adjustment has caused the door to leak. He said that this is especially true of rear hinged doors like Lucy's. He showed us how to readjust the pin to its original position, in case we wanted to put it back.

Just as the technician had warned, the first on the road rain produced seepage. We adjusted the door back to its original position, where it remains today.

You sewer problem sounds interesting. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The other responders have given you a start on your door problem. I'll try something for your sewer.

Sometimes the gate valve sticks a bit - you will need to address that - some of the black tank deodorizers contain lubricant. Also be sure to flush only when you can send a flood through.

But in the meantime you can avoid the nasty spills by first placing the sewer hose into the drain and then holding the connecting end below the outlet while you open the cover. Usually what leaks out will just be whatever has gathered in the end of the pipe. Then quickly connect the hose to the outlet.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote