Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez60 View Post
well out of doors mart sells alot of the psrts for the original lock
Most Airstream dealers sell replacement parts for the KT lock.

The problem is two fold.

1. Your repairing a lock that is at least 30 years old, that has a known "wear" pattern.

2. The cost of some of those parts, exceeds the cost or a replacemnt lock kit.

However, if one disregards the cost of parts, then repairing a KT lock would certainly be the order of the day.

The slide bolt, or striker bolt, is half the cost of a kit replacement lock, alone. The tumbler for the original lock, is no longer available from Airstream. We have had some modified that serve the purpose. Airstream's KT lock current tumbler only fits the casting that they presently offer for sale.

And it's getting worse.

Andy

Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Midhurst , Ontario
Andy, I have just removed my lock (from a 74 Land Yacht) and am looking for a replacement. What you sell looks like what I need. I noticed that the bolt is offset on mine, somewhat lower than centre whereas the one pictured above seems to be right on centre. I am in Ontarioi, Canada, can I purchase the above lock and have it shipped here? And how would I go about it?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by papagord View Post
Andy, I have just removed my lock (from a 74 Land Yacht) and am looking for a replacement. What you sell looks like what I need. I noticed that the bolt is offset on mine, somewhat lower than centre whereas the one pictured above seems to be right on centre. I am in Ontarioi, Canada, can I purchase the above lock and have it shipped here? And how would I go about it?
You can call us at 951-7348130, or PM your phone number and we will call you.

Andy
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
helpful threads

There are a few threads that address the installation of Andy's new lock. You can find them by going to the Forums listing from the Portal. You then scroll down to the subforum "Doors and Locks". One thread that I contributed to is "1970-1977 Main Door Lock", there are others with good info as well.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...lock-9196.html

I put Andy's lock in over a year ago and am very happy with it. The installation takes some time and care to do correctly, but the lock is much more solid than the original.

Laird
Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Midhurst , Ontario
Thank-you Andy and Laird for your replies. I checked your site Andy and although the lock is much cheaper than the Airstream one, it is still quite pricey compared to what I can buy locally....that is if I can find one that I can use...that will accommodate the screen door. If not I'll be contacting Inland.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by papagord View Post
Thank-you Andy and Laird for your replies. I checked your site Andy and although the lock is much cheaper than the Airstream one, it is still quite pricey compared to what I can buy locally....that is if I can find one that I can use...that will accommodate the screen door. If not I'll be contacting Inland.
I'd be interested in hearing about what you can find locally - as I'm not located that far from you and the lock on my '74 Sovereign also has some issues. I haven't looked at it closely enough to see what needs to be fixed. You may already be aware of this, but if you decide to order the lock from Andy try to have it shipped through the post office, as the courier companies often charge exorbitant brokerage fees.

Grant

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Midhurst , Ontario
You are so right about that Grant. UPS charges $35.00 plus GST whereas Can Post charges only $5.00. Last year I bought a power center from the US but they wouldn't ship by any other means than UPS. They probably could but didn't want the bother. I did buy a lock that cost $60.00 incl tax but I couldn't adapt it as the inside extended out too far from the door surface and interfered with the screen door. Also I would need to fashion an aluminum plate to cover the 9" hole left by removing the old one. I'll let you know how I make out. I'll be going to the RV Centre Friday morning.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd37 View Post
Thanks Andy. I will use my tin snips and get to carefully installing that lock later this afternoon. It's definitely a better lock than the original that is sold at 2x the price and (presumably) would have the same fail rate as the original failed one.
You will probably need RH snips and LH snips. Most manufacturers make them red handled for one and green handled for the other. I don't remember which is which.

The proper tool will make the job so much easier.

Woody
Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Midhurst , Ontario
L300 Motorhome Lock

[quote=DavidsonOverlander;689896]I'd be interested in hearing about what you can find locally - as I'm not located that far from you and the lock on my '74 Sovereign also has some issues. I haven't looked at it closely enough to see what needs to be fixed. You may already be aware of this, but if you decide to order the lock from Andy try to have it shipped through the post office, as the courier companies often charge exorbitant brokerage fees.

Hi Grant, I've just completed installation of an L300 Motorhome Lock (Bargman) on my Airstream. It did take some modification including the use of some aluminum to cover the hole and raising the striker plate up a bit. I had to replace the lock's inside flange with a piece of aluminum to accommodate the screen door but it looks pretty good. If you like I can send some pictures of the installation. I purchased the lock at RV Warehouse just off 400 near hwy 89.

Gord
Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
FYI,

The factory store sells the original KT assembly, I saw a few of them on the shelf. However, be forewarned they are VERY pricy!! I think it was around $400.

But if you are lookin got retain original fit and function.......?

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Midhurst , Ontario
I failed to mention that the whole thing cost me $180.00 (Canadian) including the extra aluminum. To purchase anything in the US would cost me the exchange, plus shipping, plus broker's fees and tax. $180.00 including tax, although still a lot for a lock, sounds much better than a possible $500.00 to $800.00 Cdn. No fault of US dealers but that's the reality of purchasing items from the US. I did spend a little more on specialty tools like snap ring pliers but I'll have them for other occasions.

Gord