Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Door lock and dead-bolt newbie question

Just bought an used 2017 AS Sports 16. The owners claim never used the dead bolt. For the lock on top, they explained to insert key to the lock and turn LEFT to lock [from outside] and turning key RIGHT to unlock. For the dead bolt below, turning the key either direction moves the handle on the other side of the cylinder. I did not see the bolt for both locks move when key is used to turn. Please explain how these locks work. Thanks.
Mike400AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The upper lock and the deadbolt use different keys and are independent. Your description of what happens when operating the upper lock is correct. FYI, turning the key to the left lifts the locking lever inside to the top of the slot to lock it. Turning the key to the right lowers the locking lever to the bottom of the slot and it is then unlocked. That lock is usually a black rubber headed TRIMARK key with a brass colored end.

The separate deadbolt should retract when the deadbolt key is turned counter-clockwise (left) and extend when you turn the key clockwise (right). If the deadbolt does not move in or out in response to turning the knob or the key, something is wrong with the deadbolt's internal mechanism...this would explain why they never used it. That key usually is all silvery metal with a squareish head.

If your door fits real tight like mine, it may be necessary to press the door inward while you try to unlock the deadbolt. It makes it easier to turn the key. That key is easy to bend if you try to force it--be gentle with it.

The deadbolt is important to use when you are towing, as it helps keep the door shut, especially the front-opening (suicide) doors like on mine...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
2017 AS Sports 16 dead bolt

Hello rmkrum:
Thanks for your earlier reply. I double-checked the dead-bolt: with the door open the key can move clockwise or counter-clockwise easily but I don't see the bolt moves. Does this mean the dead bolt need repair? Thanks.
Mike400AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike400AS View Post
Hello rmkrum:
Thanks for your earlier reply. I double-checked the dead-bolt: with the door open the key can move clockwise or counter-clockwise easily but I don't see the bolt moves. Does this mean the dead bolt need repair? Thanks.
If the deadbolt does not move with the door open as you describe, it needs repair. The key on mine only turns about 45 degrees left or right to make the bolt move.

Something my have become disconnected or broken internally to the deadbolt mechanism...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote