Old 08-31-2006, 10:33 PM   #1

central , Washington
door lock

Hello all,
New member here from Wa. State. We have just acquired a 1974 31 ft center bath. I know nothing about these trailers. The one we bought is all original and in fairly decent shape. My main concern right now is the front door lock, the previous owner must have lost the keys at one time because there is no tumbler mechanism in the lock, nothin there but a 1/2 inch hole! Where could I get a replacement lock? My girlfriend called the local dealer and they quoted her prices from $400.00 to $600.00, I am guessing that they were referring to the whole door. I have searched the net and came up empty handed. Is there a standard for the diameter of locks, can I get a replacement at a hardwre store? The door latch works just fine, just no lock. Any info would be appreciated. This is a nice site, I like to see how others have remodeled their trailers.

Thank you, Ron

Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hi Ron, and welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your Airstream. I'm having lock problems today too. Was just checking Vintage Trailer Supply. It would depend on what type lock you have, but maybe they could help. Check at http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...lts.asp?Cat=10 for their door locks. I've taken off my entire lock assembly and will be heading towards the best locksmith in town in the AM. If you can remove your assembly, you may have some luck doing the same.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilly
Hello all,
New member here from Wa. State. We have just acquired a 1974 31 ft center bath. I know nothing about these trailers. The one we bought is all original and in fairly decent shape. My main concern right now is the front door lock, the previous owner must have lost the keys at one time because there is no tumbler mechanism in the lock, nothin there but a 1/2 inch hole! Where could I get a replacement lock? My girlfriend called the local dealer and they quoted her prices from $400.00 to $600.00, I am guessing that they were referring to the whole door. I have searched the net and came up empty handed. Is there a standard for the diameter of locks, can I get a replacement at a hardwre store? The door latch works just fine, just no lock. Any info would be appreciated. This is a nice site, I like to see how others have remodeled their trailers.

Thank you, Ron
Ron, Welcome to the forums... You may still be able to get the lock assembly w/keys that you need for your trailer from the factory at Jackson Center. You will have to place the order through a Airstream dealer but I would call the parts department first. They stock parts back to the 1969 models. That doesn't do me any good, but you may be lucky since your coach is a 1974. They will be able to give you the part numbers you need to order. Then just call the closest dealer to you and order the part(s). You will have to pay tax and shipping but at least you should be able to get the right part for what you spend. Go on the web to Airstream.com for phone number and give it a try. Hope it works out for you. Again, welcome and let us hear how things go in your quest. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 AM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Sorry to say that lock is the KT lock and it does run around $600. Most of us try and repair it if at all possible.

Here is a break down of the parts that may help you.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I believe Inland RV has a retro fit kit to replace that lock (not plug and play) but considerably less $$. Check their WEB site.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Ron and Girlfriend!

Welcome!!! If you only need a new cylinder with keys, call Andy at InlandRV he told me a few month ago that he has replacement cylinders...
But if you need the lock with Handles etc it´s gonna be really expensive (like the $600 SafariTim mentioned before)... The cheapest I saw is from outofdoorsmart.com.

Good luck!

BJoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Lock Assemblies

Ron, You might also try some trailer salvage yards. There is a good list of them in the airstream link library. Just type airstream enter and scroll down to the link for the library. I believe I have even called one in Washington state. A few others would be Colaws in Missouri, Cherokee in Colorado, Oasis in Arizona. Short term memory loss prevents further listings.LoL! Good luck and let us know how you make out. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
KT Lock

Airstream has modified the KT lock, that they now offer for sale.

The tumbler for the new style lock, will not fit the original locks.

We have purchased a different tumbler, and have it machined to fit and work properly for the original lock used from 1970 to 1977.

Andy
Old 09-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Airstream has modified the KT lock, that they now offer for sale.
The tumbler for the new style lock, will not fit the original locks.
We have purchased a different tumbler, and have it machined to fit and work properly for the original lock used from 1970 to 1977.
Andy
Just my luck, this is the type lock I have too
What is the part number? I just looked at your web page but all I saw was a different KT lock replacement. Does this replacement just do away with the whole old lock? If so this would be a much cheaper way to get my lock to work.

2003 Volkswagon Jetta TDI (yes, it's a diesel!)
2001 Suzuki Esteem
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1971 Mercedes Benz 220D
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII
(Yeah I know, Too many cars!)
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertC
Just my luck, this is the type lock I have too
What is the part number? I just looked at your web page but all I saw was a different KT lock replacement. Does this replacement just do away with the whole old lock? If so this would be a much cheaper way to get my lock to work.
We have the repair parts for your KT lock, including the correct tumbler.

The kits that we have are not for your year trailer, but you could use a lock from a 1969, if you did not mind the knob sticking out a couple of inches.

Andy
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
...My girlfriend called the local dealer and they quoted her prices from $400.00 to $600.00, I am guessing that they were referring to the whole door.
New door=$3,000; New door with frame=$4,000; look on your face right now=priceless; for everything else, there's....
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #12

central , Washington
$4,000.00 for a new door and frame??? (my jaw hit the floor when I read that) I am glad we only need the lock! I am going to look at what type of lock we have and try to figure something out.Thank you all for your replies.
Ron
Old 09-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
$4,000.00 for a new door and frame??? (my jaw hit the floor when I read that) I am glad we only need the lock! I am going to look at what type of lock we have and try to figure something out.Thank you all for your replies.
Ron

A new door, complete with jamb, screendoor and new style lock, costs $2200.00, plus shipping, plus labor.

The worse news it that in order for it to fit older trailers, you must modify it to match the oroginal contour.

Or, metal farmework is available for doors used from 1974 and up. Then you can make your own door.

Andy
Old 09-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
A new door, complete with jamb, screendoor and new style lock, costs $2200.00, plus shipping, plus labor.

The worse news it that in order for it to fit older trailers, you must modify it to match the oroginal contour.

Or, metal farmework is available for doors used from 1974 and up. Then you can make your own door.

Andy
Andy you are much more reasonable than Airstream! And I don't doubt your pricing. While picking up my trailer after having some body damage repaired about a month ago in Jackson Center, a couple was there having their door replaced after an SOB (I'm sure the couple would have used the other meaning here) motor home backed into their late model AS and hit the door. Airstream of JC quoted them $3,000 for the door and said if the frame had to be replaced it would have been $4,000! I'm pretty sure about the price they told me. That was, of course, included removal of the old door and installation of the new by JC service personnel.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote