Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Door lock

If you look under my photo's you will see this picture of our ext lock. I may have a chance of getting one off a salvaged Airstream. Will we have to replace the whole thing inside and out or just the outside. If the salvaged thing does not work out has anyone here ever been able to fix the broken off part? Thanks for any advice.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Becky,

This probably doesn't help you a whole heck of a lot, but it would be easy enough to make a replacement handle on a CNC machine. I used to have access to one where I used to work. If you can't find a salvaged door lock mechanism, you might be able to get a small machine shop to CNC you one out of aluminum for a not so terrible amount. Although, even a small backwoods type shop would probably still want $75 minimum to make one.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Your lock looks a lot like the one on my 1984 Motorhome, except upside down.

The part you need is the flat handle that you are supposed to pull in order to open the latch, correct?

I've had lots of problems with my lock but not that particular piece. I suggest that you take the lock apart and see what shape the internal parts ar in before you go to a lot of trouble replacing the broken handle. Since these locks fail internally so much I bet someone has one around which still has a good handle even if the insides are not so good.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Becky, the handle is actually a cast piece. I suspect the door was locked and someone with a big arm tried to open it anyway? As suggested i would go ahead and disassemble the look to make sure the tabs on the slide plate are good to go as they are usually what breaks in this situation.
I've now got my mechanic trained to use the deadbolt rather than the key lock in the handle as I broke the internal part on mine a while back.
If you can get a salvage handle at the right price go for it. Just have a good look at it for cracks. Then if it works for you let me know if the slide plate is in good shape and I'll buy the internal parts from you as I've got to replace that part on mine. Lucky for me that at the time it finally dawned on me that I had four more of the same locks on the bus so just moved one from there and have waited for you to pop up. You can call me at 888-844-2322 or email me at gcoombe333@aol.com .
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Glen,
As you may or may not remember I had some major lock adventures on a recent trip. In the end I was able to have new tabs welded on to my plate which I had to a lot of grinding and polishing to get to the correct shape. But it all works. If swapping parts with Becky doesn't work out, I'd me happy to tell/show you how (remotely) I did mine.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

door lock broken

So grateful to find this discussion. My handle, the pot metal one on my 72 International, just completely broke off into several pieces. It was already not working as someone pulled too hard on it when it was locked and I was gently using a flathead screwdriver and putting a little pressure on the little round bar that it was attached to. Well it is now broken and the bar could be bent, not sure. I cut out a screen to get inside.
Anyhow, I need to get a new set up, what all do I need to do. I read thru the threads but am a rookie at any of this. (PS. I will read thru the drilling out the rivets discussions to take the interior panel off, so no need to explain, thanks.)

Maxie 72 International 27'
maxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
A couple options for you:

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/22200-kt-kit.jpg

Airstream Door Lock 70-77 380193 [380193] - $429.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

KT Cylinder / Tumbler at Inland

In case other are seeking this replacement "tumbler/cylinder for a 72 -7x Overlander and other models using the 3x7" KT lock and not having much luck

I did check Inland RV at first, but they didn't show one either. After fruitless searching over a few days I finally emailed Andy and he confirmed he actually does have them available.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote