Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #1

1977 Argosy 24
Scarborough , Maine
Door Latch broken on '75 Argosy

Hi Help I can not get into my trailer. I have a 1975 Argosy and the latch is broken and the key just turns around. I tried the screws but they are soft and I fear they will just break off. Is there a way to get in. Then how do I replace the broken latch?????
debpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think you have the infamous "unobtainium" lock, but there may be a fix.
First (obviously), you'll need to be able to get into the trailer, the door should still open from inside. Does your trailer have any access compartments on the outside? If so, you can open the compartment, and a small child can get in, go to the door, and open it for you.
If you have no hatches to get in, are any of the windows unlatched? Again, a small person can crawl through and get the door open from inside.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello debpatch -- Welcome to AIR Forums!

I've got two comments and they both will lead you to talking to Inland Andy at Inland RV. This is a $279 complete lock set that he has put together for this vintage Argosy trailer. Better yet -- the price may be much lower if you just need the KT cylinder lock. Tell him about the "key just turns around" and he may be able to lead you in the right direction.

Second -- we don't want to put this in print. He'll also tell you his secret on getting into your trailer ... on the assumption that you'll be able to open the door from the inside (another point to ask about, given your "key just turns around" problem). It will take some persuading to have them get him on the phone, but he's the best resource there for your issues. Tell him I referred you. Please let us know when you work out a solution for your problem. Thanks

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #4

1977 Argosy 24
Scarborough , Maine
Unfortunately no hatches and shut and locked tight. I am up a creek right?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #5

1977 Argosy 24
Scarborough , Maine
Thanks I will give it a try. I just want to get in so badly.