Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Door hitting deadbolt

2012 27FB - The door is hitting the deadbolt, so I assume the hinges have started sagging...although it is possible that we put too much pressure on the stabilizer pads at some point. At any rate, aside from the video on how to adjust the door with a block of wood and a small sledge, any info on how to adjust the door would be much appreciated. Sorry for no pix, but the rig is in storage for the winter.
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
bavarian cloud

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Leavenworth , Washington
deadbolt

I have a 2017 FC so mine might be a bit different than yours, but.....My door latch engagement mechanism center point is about 1/16 below the pin on the door frame. If I shut the door with a little bit of pressure it is leveraged up by the pin and sits squarely in the doorframe. Basically it is securely closed and both locks work fine,but the deadbolt in the door frame is forcing the issue. Sometimes if we close the door without adequate energy it doesn't latch properly so I started looking at moving the pin in the door frame. I tried the gently hammering method but it didn't move anything. In my situation there are two rivets that appear to hold the pin backing plate in place. I am a guessing that if I take it to the dealer they will use the hammer method, break the rivets and then have to reattach the plate to the door frame with new rivets or screws in a slightly new position. Maybe that is ok but for now I have decided to close the door hard. So.....if after seeing if the door is square in the frame, and confirming that you need to move the pin to keep it that way, I would consider drilling out the rivets, moving the plate up or down as needed to relocate the pin to the right place, then putting in a couple of new holes/rivets to retain the plate in its new location. The one thing I could imagine that might happen is that the plate might fall into the wall cavity once the rivets are out, but I think that as long as you hang onto the pin which I THINK is screwed into the backing plate you should be ok. Let us know how you get this fixed!
basaltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
2012 27FB - The door is hitting the deadbolt, so I assume the hinges have started sagging...although it is possible that we put too much pressure on the stabilizer pads at some point. At any rate, aside from the video on how to adjust the door with a block of wood and a small sledge, any info on how to adjust the door would be much appreciated. Sorry for no pix, but the rig is in storage for the winter.
We couldn't shut our door when it got cold. Here's what I did to fix it.

https://streamin-in-shiny.com/2017/1...ver-me-rivets/

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
The door can be shifted up with nylon washers from Lowes/HD. Look for ones with 1/4'' hole, different thicknesses. Get an assortment. Use nippers to cut a "V'' in it to push in hinge pin after first wiggling the door up. Might need a second pair of hands to help.

Easy to do, hard to explain. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks guys, and especially the idea about shimming the hinges with trimmed nylon washers. Lacking pictures my explanation was not completely clear. The door is hitting the end of the deadbolt, thus the door needs to be shimmed away from the bolt. It might work to shim the lower hinge, I will take a look and see if that is the problem.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks guys, and especially the idea about shimming the hinges with trimmed nylon washers. Lacking pictures my explanation was not completely clear. The door is hitting the end of the deadbolt, thus the door needs to be shimmed away from the bolt. It might work to shim the lower hinge, I will take a look and see if that is the problem.
The deadbolt itself should be fully contained within the door, and only is pushed out of the door to engage the space in the door frame when the deadbolt knob or key is rotated.
Are you sure you are talking about the dead bolt, and not the striker bolt, which is permanently attached to the outer door frame?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Yes, I'm talking about the striker bolt. The airstream video on adjusting the door refers to the striker bolt as the deadbolt, so I did the same. The door is hitting the outside of the striker bolt.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #8
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
If the door latch is hitting the End of the striker ie the hex head the striker itself needs to be shimmed outward, loosen and install a washer or washers depending on amount of shim needed. Further the previous poster stating to adjust your striker by moving up/down by drilling and re riveting is exactly what I did to adjust my door. When shimming striker the screen door will need to be adjusted most likely regarding clearance.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I several years ago I noticed that my door striker was binding on the door latch. Adding a washer to the striker was what fixed mine.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Yes, I'm talking about the striker bolt. The airstream video on adjusting the door refers to the striker bolt as the deadbolt, so I did the same. The door is hitting the outside of the striker bolt.

This sounds like the exact same problem I had. See the picture on my blog post link above. I agree with others that the striker needs to be shimmed.

Briefly, my latch was hitting the end of the striker preventing the door from closing. I took a 3/4 inch boxed end wrench and backed off or loosened the striker one full turn. The door closed properly after that. I then removed the striker completely and put a thin washer behind the original washer and reinstalled. This solved the problem.

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Ok guys, now we're getting somewhere. I will try and shim the striker bolt and adjust the screen door for clearance. Thx to all!
Old 12-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Video from Airstream >> this might help:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...TQuuYlgaXzSZDg
Old 12-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote: