Old 11-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Springfield , Ohio
Door hinges & new screen door?

The 345 MoHo I'm working on is in great shape overall but the door alignment is poor due to worn hinges and pins. The screen door shows it's age and is due for replacement. Any suggestions? I live about 50 miles from the factory in Jackson Center and am planning a visit soon. It's uncleatr from the Airstream web site if you can buy parts direct or have to go through a dealer. The only dealer in our area carries Airstream in name only.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKWoodrow
The 345 MoHo I'm working on is in great shape overall but the door alignment is poor due to worn hinges and pins. The screen door shows it's age and is due for replacement. Any suggestions? I live about 50 miles from the factory in Jackson Center and am planning a visit soon. It's uncleatr from the Airstream web site if you can buy parts direct or have to go through a dealer. The only dealer in our area carries Airstream in name only.

You can purchase most any part/parts the Airstream factory has, "BUT," you must be in Jackson Center in order to do so.

If you are not at the factory, then you must purchase your parts through a dealer.

Andy

Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

If the screen door from an 82 is the same I have 1 I can sell you if you find new to be too expensive, it is in great shape.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. The doors on our coaches take a beating each time we enter and leave since our steps are so high the door often becomes the railing. The most common problem is loose hinges. You can easily test this by just lifting up on the door and watching the hinge. To tighten the hinge you need to take off the panel directly next to the door frame. I have left the plastic panel off and replaced it with an oak panel which gives me easier access. Replace the screws and keep an eye on them if they start to loosen again. If the door itself is warped out of shape it can be put back into its original curve. I used a "comealong" with a 2 by 4 T brace which I made to hold the cable out and pull evenly from the top and bottom. Apply pressure carefully until the door returns to its original shape and seals correctly. At your local hardware store you can purchase a screen protector grate which will give some stability to the door and protect the screen.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
GO to the factory. They have much to offer. They can fix anything.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
GO to the factory. They have much to offer. They can fix anything.

Almost.

They are still working on where to properly place a jack to lift the trailer off the ground.

What they say and what they print is far removed from the safety issues as well as being practical.

Some things do take a long time, even at Airstream, sometimes even a very long time.

Andy