Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Door Hinges

We have an 1990 Excella 1000 and the door is becoming harder to close. I noticed some type of bushings that look worn. I tried lubrication but it doesn't seem to help. There are two large screws per hinge that attaches the hinge to the trailer door frame. I haven't been able to figure out (visually) on how the hinge would come apart to replace these bushings or hinge pin. Can these hinges be repaired and how do you remove them from the door? Do you have to take off the inner skin of the door to remove hinge from the door?

Thanks,
Bill
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My 81 trailer does not seem to have bushings. Does the door have slack in it when you lift up on it. Can you see actual play in the bushings. Sometimes they get loose where they are bolted to the trailer. Is the bushing in the part attached to the trailer of the door part. If they are on the door part you can drive the hinge pin out and replace the bushings in the door part of the hinge or in the trailer side for that matter.

There are two 1/4-20 flathead bolts that hold the hinge brackets on the trailer and the only way to remove them is to drill holes in the inner skin so you can get to the nuts on the inside.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
With some help you can lift the door up, slip in some nylon washers onto the pin to fill in the space from the wear and help keep the door lifted. You'll need to snip out a "v" section of the washer so it can be pushed onto the pin.

I find also that a regular dose of good silicone on the lock, handle, and the strike plate works wonders.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I have a fitment issue on my 76 Argosy...door latches fine, but door skin protrudes at bottom. I tightened the hinge screws that attach to the trailer and the bottom one appears to be stripped out because it wont tighten. Any idea what the screws screw into? Nut, aluminum doorframe, etc.?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Tried lifting up on the door and have zero movement up or down or side to side. There is no issue with locking/latching the door so I'll wait on hinge removal (last resort as I don't want to drill holes inside to remove nuts). The top hinge upper bushing is the one that has a space below the flange of the bushing/sleeve. Going to try and fit a nylon washer there to see if it makes a difference. This all started after camping on the coast of SC in March, around the second week the door started to open hard. Thought it was salt air corrosion so I sprayed with WD40 at the site and then with silicone spray lube 2-3 times at home. Wonder if graphite would be a better lube? Thanks for the tips.

Bill
Old 07-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Heck Bill, graphite would be worth a try, it is slick stuff. I keep a small tube of it in the trailer to puff into key holes.
My son has a '90 34' that had some door issues. The nylon washers really helped out.
You may need to wiggle the door back & forth as you lift up on it.

Good luck.

John

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Can you take some photos of the problem for us?

Perry
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
This is the picture of the top portion of the top hinge. You can see the bushing/sleeve I was referring too. It looks like the bushing has a flange on it and it separated from the rest. Off to find some nylon washers tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2382614832.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	163683  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Is the bottom of the door hitting the frame?

Perry
Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
The bottom of the door clears Ok.the door swings with more resistance then usual. My concern is as the bushings wear the hinge pin over time will wear out the hinge. Maybe I'm overly concerned.

Bill
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Bill sounds like the door might just need a good dose of WD40 or Boshield or graphite on the hinges/pins. The nylon washers would also help some.

Our salty coastal air wreaks havoc on a lot of stuff. BTW, where were you when in SC?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Sandlaper, We stayed in Myrtle Beach area at Pirates Cove campground. Left cold and snowy upstate New York with the goal of heading south until we hit sunny weather and 80F. Well, the weather was great and we decided to stop and spend the month in Myrtle Beach area. Leaving for a short camping trip today and I will bring my can of silicone spray and keep on lubing the hinges.

Bill
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Had he same kind of problem with the door hinges on my 345. Found the door would not close without lifting at certian level situations. Tried to tighten the hinges without any luck as the screws to the top were loose. Opened the interior skin and rebolted the hinge and liberally applied lock tite to the nuts. Did ths 3 - 4 years ago and have not had any more issues. If the screws to the hinges are loose, the only good answer is to unrivit the door frame and carefully peel back the interior skin for retightening. Is a pain, but well worth the time.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
To tighten the hinges all you need to do it drill some 3/4" holes over the bolts. Here is a pic showing some plugs over the holes. No reason you can't paint them to match the wall if you want.

I have thought that one way to eliminate hinge and pin wear would be to hollow out the pin and put a zerk grease fitting on the end of the pin. A few holes in the pin would allow the grease to get to the hinge.

Perry
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Perry, That looks pretty good. Thanks for the pic. The screws that hold the hinge to the trailer are tight. I've been lubing 2-3 times a day since I posted. I think the lube is finally working it's way down the pin. Not much improvement but some. The nylon washer as purchased was too thick and I need to sand a few and try again. On the road boon docking in Old Forge, NY in a pull off. Nicks Lake has openings on Wednesday for a campsite to recharge.

Bill