Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Door hinge replacement

I have a 1955 bubble with a load of problems. I am currently doing a shell off restoration and I am a few hidden rivets away from removing the shell and belly pan. I just completed removing the door and prepped it for storage. I was looking at the lower hinge and noticed that the hinge was "repaired" with a hideous weld job. The door never did close quite right and as it turns out the hinge is really bent and warped from the weld job. The story goes as I found out, the front window was broken out by a bird when the trailer was being towed the door blew out at the bottom. Who knew that could happen before different window would go. The hinge is in tact for the most part, it was one of the tabs that the wrap the pin that broke. I was looking locally for a fabrication shop/weld shop that could reproduce the triple flap hinge. Well just about everyone I talked to could cut me a new stainless steel blank and add the angle bends. The problem I was having was finding someone who could wrap the tabs around the pin in a 360-degree bend. So I looked for a used one with no luck. Lots of top hinges but no lower ones, and the price OUCH! Repair is a option but there is no guarantee that the repair will hold. I really want to have some new ones made, and keep the old pair as a back up. Has any one out there been a similar problem and found a workable solution? Or what a bout a local shop in your area that has done a similar job. Help would be greatly appreciated.
I have posted some of the pictures of the top hinge that was not damaged.
Thanks Beau
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1.bmp (256.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: bmp 2.bmp (257.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: bmp 3.bmp (281.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: bmp 4.bmp (270.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: bmp 5.bmp (290.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-04-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
There's a metal shop here in town that does fantastic work, so I am told by a fellow vintage AS'er with discriminating taste. I haven't used them just yet as I haven't had the need but will definately give them a call when the need arises. The shop is Warden's and they can be reached at 480.966.4675 or through email at: info@wardensinc.com. They also have a website - http://www.wardensinc.com

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Hinge

I'm still looking for a resource to help me with my hinge problem. I tried to contact the company that was listed in the previous post, but my E-mails and phone calls where never returned. Any other ideas from the community would be greatly appreciated. I also posted a classified add here at the forums site, I'm so frustrated with this I think that a used set might be my only hope.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Even that option can be frustrating. I gave almost $400.00 for a door on E-Bay only to find the hinges half missing and busted. Be careful. If you ever find someone to duplicate a set please let me know.

Greg
Old 08-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Lightbulb Replacement

There is a company that said that they can make the hinge for me here in Bend Or. They are called ISCO www.iscomach.com . But since they do not have the special tool that is used to roll the tab 360 degrees around the pin used to secure the hinge parts to the pin they suggested a different option. They where going to reverse engineer the hinge and reproduce it with all of the bends and lengths identical to the original. Then they would take the plates and weld it to a stainless steel tube that would slip over the pin. They say it would look good and it would hold better that the original. Their rough estimate was $300 for both hinges. It’s an option but not original, but I am not that picky at this point.