Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #21
ARF
ARF

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Breckenridge , CO
Door hinge pin keeps coming loose

OP here. Dropped off trailer at AS dealer in NM. Service Mgr immediately noticed the raised hinge pin and knew the problem. Pin has to be "pinged" at two spec locations on the top and this was not done at the factory. Apparently this happens often the dealer had to get special tool to "ping" the pin. Nail set will not work.
ARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
ARF -- our's was "pinged" at the factory and the upper pin started working loose anyway. Think we might have been the last year the c-clip pins were not used.

Thanks for your original question; now I know what to do too. Thanks!
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
My door hinges had worn enough to drop the door over 1/16" so it rubbed on the threshold. I wanted to remove the pins to put washers under the worn surfaces, so drilled small holes up through the bottom of the hinges a proceeded to tap the pins with a punch. The pins didn't want to budge. I had to beat on them for 10 minutes to get them out. The pins had some knurling near the top to keep them in place. I loctited them in place when reassembling. If they ever move I will do like Joel suggested in his post and simply install set screws in the hinge body just like architectural builders hardware NRP butts have. (Non removable pin) type hinges are used for security when the hinges are facing externally, so a burglar can't remove the pins to gain access. The set screws are facing inside the hinge when folded shut. The set screws can simply be removed with an Allen wrench to pull the pin for lube maintenance.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Caronport , Saskatchewan
Door hinge pin keeps coming loose

I've got a 76 safari with this problem. My top door hinge pin works itself up over course of opening and closing the door over a few days. See picture... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6224.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	291887

Does anyone know it's the new pin with C-clip that's been discussed here will fit the 1976 door hinge?

Thanks!
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote